Taking out LED covers on each arm

Reaction score
So I was cleaning the Phantom today after a swarm of bee's?? attacked it at like 40ft.. (very odd they aren't on the ground, but the swarm was in the air... was 100's of them!)
Anyways I noticed under the led cover/panel (on each arm)it looks like there is a bit of dirt/crap/bee guts/whatever under 1 or 2 of the led covers.

I've got no problems taking off the top off the Phantom, but is there an easy way to remove the led covers to clean them ? I can't remember what it all looks like with the top off. It's not causing a problem or anything.. and just a littl1e bit of dirt so no big deal, but figured I'd clean them if its not to difficult to remove ?

Anyone done that before ?

Thanks

No idea about removing the LED covers, but my Phantom also gets its fair share of nosey-parker bugs investigating it. They find it interesting that's for sure, because they even come back a few times after getting blown away by the prop-wash. It doesn't always end well for the bugs, however. Luckily, so far, it's just the props that get covered in bee gore.

The leds covers are attached on the bird with the same 2 screws that hold down the ESC's.
Take the top off the bird and loosen the 2 screws, they are a bit hidden on the ESC's and the led covers are sunken +-5mm into the bird.
Watch out when reinstalling the leds covers as the holes for the screws are placed asymmetric and a quick error can be made ( speaking from experience ! )
So its fairly easy to detach the covers.

take the battery out and use an airline to blow in through the ESC vents. chances are you'll blow 99% of the crap out. don't use too much pressure just incase you upset something.

locoworks said:
take the battery out and use an airline to blow in through the ESC vents. chances are you'll blow 99% of the crap out. don't use too much pressure just incase you upset something.

I rather have a good cleanup, not some French under the rug job that has the inner guts of a insect still all splashed around the bird.
If you estimate the chance 99% then you didn't try it, did you ?
The air vents will not work because the ESC is in the way and the ESC's PCB can be clearly seen true the vents next to the LED's covers.

ToThePoint said:
locoworks said:

I rather have a good cleanup, not some French under the rug job that has the inner guts of a insect still all splashed around the bird.
If you estimate the chance 99% then you didn't try it, did you ?
The air vents will not work because the ESC is in the way and the ESC's PCB can be clearly seen true the vents next to the LED's covers.

no i haven't done it, but moving air will get between the esc and the lights and remove any loose stuff, maybe blow down through the motor windings too? the same moving air that got the rubbish in there in the first place will get it out, except the dry stuff that started wet and stickey and has glued itself into place. if you want a new look then you will have to disassemble it.

Thanks for the info folks.
Will probs go the remove ESC route as its pretty quick to remove cover. And yeah don't want bee guts blown onto something else.

And re: swarm. Its wierd in the park you'd think the bee's/whatever would prefer it on ground but they congregate pretty high up. I think see'ing there buddies getting chopped up reaallly aggrevate them as they follow it all the way down. Either that or its the noise they seem to be attracted to maybe? Soon as it lands and I turn off props they dissapear.

Bloody hell.. stripped 2 of the screws.. managed to take out 2 leds.. and on the 2 esc's were I stripped screw (1 on each esc) I was able to move the LED down enough to clean them..
So all clened but would like to fix the 2 stripped screws incase I want to change esc's... how would you guys do it ?? If there was room would like to try put a straight cut in them so flat screw driver would fit in...but noooo room for my hack saw...

Perhaps drilling them out would be best ??

I might look around and see if there is a very very small type of hacksaw or something....

Yeah- I had the same happen to me- they must use a very soft metal in the screws.
I drilled mine out using a new bit and just big enough to drill the head off. Go slow
and take your time. Then I used needle nose pliers to remove the remaining screw.
I found a screw driver that really fit the screws and I keep it with the quad.
Good luck- Al

justin00 said:
I might look around and see if there is a very very small type of hacksaw or something....
The tool you are looking for is called a Dremel (with a cutting disc).

But seriously, you need a better screwdriver set. The ESC screws just go into plastic, so they can't be that tight.

ah yeah dremel good idea.
Yeah I bought another n0 sized screw driver, seems abit better.. allthough other one worked fine for 6 other screws (plus the ones at end of each arm)... completey screwed the 2 screws though :| They are in pretttty tight.
Will need to borrow dremel from a friend or someone.

i wouldn't be panicking too much ( not tried this myself either TTP :mrgreen: ) but a bit of foam backed velcro should hold the ESC's without too much problem or weight gain. as to the LED lens/covers these could be not screwed back at all and just held in place with clear tape around the whole arm once the phantom is back together. not too much grief to remove a bit of tape and replace it should you ever need to get into things again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik