Taking off your Phantom From High Rises..Good Idea?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im currently practicing with a newly purchased Phantom Vision. Ive flown nearly 15 clocked hours and everything has gone very good. I live in a 25 story building which has a pretty decent sized open spaced open area on the top of the building (100ft wide and 100ft length). On top of this building I do see cell towers attached. Does this affect the radio frequency at all? Is having the fail safe mode on top of a 25 story build really safe? Please leave your comments and experiences.

Regards,

It's likely the microwave dishes on the side are more likely to cause problems if present - you'd probably get away with it but it's just additional risk to consider, and probably not worth it.
Without the antennas it would be no problem I expect - seen lots of videos doing just that.

JaiSanti said:
Hey everyone,

Im currently practicing with a newly purchased Phantom Vision. Ive flown nearly 15 clocked hours and everything has gone very good. I live in a 25 story building which has a pretty decent sized open spaced open area on the top of the building (100ft wide and 100ft length). On top of this building I do see cell towers attached. Does this affect the radio frequency at all? Is having the fail safe mode on top of a 25 story build really safe? Please leave your comments and experiences.

Regards,
Tether it to a brick with a 50 ft string, then try flying near the antennas.

Cell towers operate in three frequency bands, one of them not far from the primary GPS frequency. You run a risk of the high power (relative to GPS) cell transmissions blanking your GPS receiver on the Phantom with so much off-channel noise that your Phantom can't "hear" the GPS satellites.

If it's a comm relay antenna, it looks like two base drums back-to-back, the transmitting antenna could do the same thing, but you would have to fly pretty close to the beam path.

excellent guys. Thanks for the reassurance. I wont take any risks and continue in open fields for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair