Taking off on the move

I would love to hear the rationale, as well as the safety plan for taking off from a moving anything. That said, many here have talked about, and posted video, taking off from boats. The main issue has been what happens when RTH is triggered. You definitely want to choose the one where it returns and hovers, so you at least have a chance to race back and catch it before it gets wet.

Elwood58 said:
I would love to hear the rationale, as well as the safety plan for taking off from a moving anything. That said, many here have talked about, and posted video, taking off from boats. The main issue has been what happens when RTH is triggered. You definitely want to choose the one where it returns and hovers, so you at leaf have a chance to race back and catch it before it gets wet.

+1. You don't want the RTH location to be in the lake somewhere ;-) Do your best to flip it into manual if you ever get into a bind where it's leaving and you need to take control.

I work on a sailing boat. In order to take footage of the boat sailing I have to be able to take off and land whilst moving at up to 10 knots. My first attempt, only fifth ever flight with a any sort of UAV, almost ended up in the drink!

you are attempting a VERY advanced move with VERY little skill/experience. Im not saying you wont ever get it done...but im saying if you continue bad things are bound to happen eventually. You really need to think about flying more in a controlled environment before attempting such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvhO0nKn00

Try it, it is easy. Only thing I would add here is have the remote strapped around your neck so starting and killing the motors is much easier.

Of course this also removes any possibility of damage while landing on ground.

PS: I wouldn't do these manouvers with CF props. They cut pretty bad./

ericdes said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvhO0nKn00

Try it, it is easy. Only thing I would add here is have the remote strapped around your neck so starting and killing the motors is much easier.

Of course this also removes any possibility of damage while landing on ground.

PS: I wouldn't do these manouvers with CF props. They cut pretty bad./

What you just showed is completely not what the subject here is. I always hand catch but that has nothing to do with the movement of a boat (vertical and horizontal) and launching from that.

i would guess, and it is only a guess that you just take off quickly and don't panic that you are moving away from it rather than it is moving from you. it may be easier to hand launch and land so when you let go it is already flying. probably better to try it as a 2 man operation first.

TruffleAir said:
I work on a sailing boat. In order to take footage of the boat sailing I have to be able to take off and land whilst moving at up to 10 knots. My first attempt, only fifth ever flight with a any sort of UAV, almost ended up in the drink!
Sounds very risky. You will almost certainly drop it in the drink sooner or later. Have you considered a waterproof quad?

Let me give you a scenario, deck heeling 20 degrees moving at 8 kts SOG with apparent wind at about 15 kts, 1.2m fence around deck, to take off without putting anything into keeping relative station with the boat I have a triangle to fly through, 2.5m at the base 5m high (having reached a height of 1.2m within 2m).

To say nothing of proper IMU initialization requiring a/c to be level and motionless.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj