Taking off from a moving vehicle

Reaction score
KillerRC said:
I think I had read a warning about doing this, but I guess I forgot. So, word to the wise. Do not make the Phantom take-off from a moving vehicle. It must mess up the compass or some calibration inside. I got about 10 seconds of cool footage and then it just went bonkers and flew off into the ground. Luckily it landed in some soft dirt. The camera detached and went flying. It didn't damage anything, despite doing several cartwheels on the ground. I just cleaned it off and plugged the camera back in and went back to flying and recording video. Pretty impressed. It was overcast and windy today, but I think we got some good footage.
Trying to cheat on some speed records :x

ok ok.. question..whhhhyyy would you attempt to take off from a moving vehicle? I doubt it has anything to do with the compass but more along the lines of wind drag on the rotors before they have gotten up to a decent RPM to counter the drag, therefore causing the unstable craft to crash..bad idea.

KillerRC said:
I was trying to get good footage of the back window of this truck, which has an advertisement for a hunting company we are sponsored by. The truck was only moving about 5mph. The quad flew fine for about 10 seconds and then just went hard left into the ground.
The 10 seconds of footage turned out great though.

but couldn't you get the same footage if you had taken off from the ground? no?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.