Taking off camera filter

Reaction score
I want to put on a new filter and I cant unscrew the original one it's extremely tight i'm afraid of damaging the camera any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's hilarious dude are you kidding me what's the deal with that guess I'll return it

I had the same problem, then suddenly it came off really easy when I repositioned my grip. I think the aluminum locks together making it hard to unscrew. Don't use pliers. Try positioning your fingers across from each other at different points along the circumference of the filter. It will come off.

Thank you I'll try again its really on there tight man

I just took mine off the other day to put on my new ND filter.. I could not budge it.. Tried gloves, rubberband, cussing.. Nothing worked.. Finally tried VERY CAREFULLY with pliers.. STILL would not budge.. Then, just as I was about to give up, tried one more time with my hand and it came right off.. The pliers must of broken it loose..

Last edited:
The harder you try/squeeze the harder to twist off. Grab a rubber band for a grip and very gently twist. It comes off really easy

Reactions: Sinisalo
Try using a rubber band to take it off

I don't recommend using tools to remove it. The filter is made of very thin, fragile metal. Wrap something rubber around it (e.g. a jar opener) and turn it counter-clockwise while gripping it as loosely as possible. It'll twist off eventually. Just be patient and keep attempting to turn it counter-clockwise.

Thank you guys I appreciate it yes I did use my prop wrench and broke it in the process This all makes sense thanks again guys I'll let you know

I very gently laid the prop wrench around it and barely touched it with my finger and it turned extremely easy.

I very gently laid the prop wrench around it and barely touched it with my finger and it turned extremely easy.
So, that prop wrench has a use after all. Nice idea :)

The ring is quite thin and flexible. As you press you are binding the threads and working against yourself. Apply very little pressure and it does come off easily. It's a difficult technique to explain but once you feel it once it's no big deal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

it's really strange because when I had this problem, I was trying and trying to unscrew it but it just wouldn't budge. Then when I wasn't paying attention and and not even trying to unscrew it I could feel it move! So yes I second not squeezing hard on it. Try a really light grip in different positions.

it's really strange because when I had this problem, I was trying and trying to unscrew it but it just wouldn't budge. Then when I wasn't paying attention and and not even trying to unscrew it I could feel it move!
When it's screwed on the whole way, it's a bit mushy feeling as it starts to twist off. I don't know how to explain that better. It's twisting, but it's hard to tell if you're not watching it move. This exact scenario happened to me today while I was removing my P3A filter for the first time.

I think everyone has experienced this. I tried a rubber band etc could not get it to budge then found a post on a forum that was the solution. I can't remember what type of knot it was....but the process is tying a string around it (I used a wide shoe string I think it was) and using a looped pattern, insert something that gives you leverage through the looped knot part as your tying it. ( I used an allen wrench that was close to me at the time)When you twist the allen wrench or whatever you want to use it tightens the string around the ring of the lens and puts equal pressure and will tighten as its twisted. The allen wrench is against the string and not the lens housing so it doesn't scratch anything. Also put a little mark with a sharpie or pencil on the lens ring/camera so that you know when the lens moves. I will search this forum I'm pretty sure it was from someone on here explains the knot and has pics of the process. Probably clear as mud to you now....lol

I used a sergical glove. Wraped my finger around the outer of the lens and griped loosely with my thumb.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie