Taking Night pictures

Reaction score
Does anyone know any attachments you can get to illuminate the ground so the camera can see and take pictures? Have a DJI Phantom 2 vision +

A huge spotlight :D Not really, unless you are photographing or videoing with well lit ground, you are pretty much SOL.

Certainly nothing your bird is gonna be able to lift off the ground.

There is one possibility, although I've yet to try lifting it. I bought it at Amazon. Search for patio umbrella lights. It is very cheap, with poor reviews as the soldering isn't great.

It doesn't clamp on the pole, so the pole has to be pushed through the center of the light, so it is a terrible umbrella light! It has a hanger for using in tents and it is better suited for that. It has two rings of bright white LEDs, controlled by a push button that turns on either circle or both.

It uses 4 AA batteries and for what it is, it is light. But, I don't know the excess lift capacity rating. The weight, for the light, should be listed.

This is probably more suited to lighting the ground directly below the drone, but I'm sure you can figure out a way to tilt it. It is very bright. One thing is for certain, if you can lift this light, you will have no problem seeing where you are landing! Also, you probably could see your drone from a very long distance.

I also have a light, bright LED, small light, that casts the largest circle of light that I've ever seen. That is adjustable and it has a bright, low and strobe settings. Give me awhile to remember where I bought it.

The inverse square law is against you,
Unless you are only interested in flying 3 metres high your Phantom couldn't carry anything that would help you.

It might be fun to experiment with "Painting with Light". (Google it)
The Phantom is remarkably stable in no wind conditions, so start the GoPro shooting video and go up 50 to 100ft. Don't touch the controls unless you need to for safety then walk around, or have an assistant walk around lighting the scene with hand-held floodlights. Later, do frame grabs from the video of the lighting then blend them in Photoshop using the Multiply mode.

When the outside temperature isn't 16-degrees F I may try that sometime.

SteveMann said:
It might be fun to experiment with "Painting with Light". (Google it)
The Phantom is remarkably stable in no wind conditions, so start the GoPro shooting video and go up 50 to 100ft. Don't touch the controls unless you need to for safety then walk around, or have an assistant walk around lighting the scene with hand-held floodlights. Later, do frame grabs from the video of the lighting then blend them in Photoshop using the Multiply mode.

When the outside temperature isn't 16-degrees F I may try that sometime.
Yes it is stable but I do not think that stable. Give it a try but for painting with light,( how we use to do it ) you leave the shutter open while you set flashes off , cover lens, move to another location while the camera is in same position, take away what is covering shutter ( normally black painted cardboard ) & repeat. Yes you can use photoshop to layer but if the phantom moved just a bit with wind or anything while you do that, you will have undesired results. I could be wrong but I think you will have a hard time to do that. If you try & get good results, please share as I dang will try it too :)

Txturbo said:
Buy a mini LED flashlight from the dollar store and Velcro it to your phantom.
I think You would need several thousand unless you were shooting on the ground :lol: plus a mile of velcro :D

I stand corrected, don't know how high you would need to be before light falls off too bad. It is not diffused evenly but it is light :)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31151

Here's my hi-tech setup. I zip-tied a 600 lumen NiteRider bike light to my Phantom. It was quite effective at illuminating the ground underneath. See video link below. Flight time was reduced to about 10 minutes since the light is actually heavy for its size. Too bad the Hero3+ isn't so great in low-light situations.

More here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31151

phantom_spotlight1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers