Taking my P4 to Mexico

Reaction score
I have a trip coming up to Cabo and wanted to know the rules and regulations around the following ...

1. What are the best practices around flying with a drone. Will be flying Alaska airlines from Sea - San Diego - Cabo. Can I carry the craft in hand luggage and put the batteries in checkin luggage to avoid spending extra time at the security check? Do I need to discharge the batteries before travelling? Do I need to inform the airline before hand or at the checkin time?

2. What are the rules around flying in Mexico? Do I need to register my Phantom before flying near the beaches?

3. Any tips when getting back to the US?

Any tips around this would be helpful, thanks.

bring some extra cash to tip federals just in case

I have a trip coming up to Cabo and wanted to know the rules and regulations around the following ...

1. What are the best practices around flying with a drone. Will be flying Alaska airlines from Sea - San Diego - Cabo. Can I carry the craft in hand luggage and put the batteries in checkin luggage to avoid spending extra time at the security check? Do I need to discharge the batteries before travelling? Do I need to inform the airline before hand or at the checkin time?

2. What are the rules around flying in Mexico? Do I need to register my Phantom before flying near the beaches?

3. Any tips when getting back to the US?

Any tips around this would be helpful, thanks.

LiPo Batteries CANNOT be in checked baggage. They MUST be in carry-on bags. Some airlines limit the number of batteries per person. Check your airlines baggage policies. I discharged my batteries, but neither TSA nor airline employees checked the charge level. No need to inform TSA. They may open the bag for inspection or they may not. There is very little extra time involved if they open the bag. Just step back and let them have their look.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Carry on battery limit?

Carry-on or checked luggage?

How did you discharge the P4 batteries completely? Let the motors run while grounded?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I just didn't charge them after flying during the days leading up to the trip. They don't need to be completely discharged. I saw one recommendation stating less than 50% and another less than 30%. I just took them down to less than 20% so only one bar would display when charge level checked.

Again, though, no one checked. YMMV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4