Taking my drone into Canada from the US?

Reaction score
I live in Michigan and travel into Canada quite often.

Will I need any special permits to fly in Canada? Specifically in the Hamilton region.

Go to your Local Customs Office and Fill out the Form. You must also take any items with you that you plan to take that has a Serial Number so they can verify the number. I had to take my camera, phone ( batteries ) Metal Detector's ,anything that had a Serial number, I did this in case a agent search my vehicle coming back. It's best to declare everything. Do not take any knives and No Food and if they ask you how must cash, give the correct amount if possible, let say $500.00 , if they find you trying to sneak in $5000.00 they keep it all and you will probably get free rent for the night.

Maybe I can find a Video, on what they get from people trying to beat the system.Then when I came back to the United States thru Customs the agent said what is this form after I handed them my Forms, Canada has some strict Rules for Flying Drone's same as the United States, Like Airports and Secured area's. Have a Great Trip - gosports1 I have been searching for the Form that I used, Call your Local Customs Office , the closest form that I found on the Internets is CBP Form ( # 4457 ) they might have something new, This may help you from any Import Taxes on any items that you declare,

Last edited:
Canada has no registration requirements for drones under 2 Kilograms (4.4 pounds) that are used for recreation. You don't have to be a Canadian citizen to fly a Phantom in Canada.

BUT...

As gosports1 points out, we have some of the most draconian rules when it comes to flying drones in this class. The list is here: Exemption from Paragraph 571.08(1)(b) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations - Transport Canada

Some of the rules, I'm pretty sure most Canadians aren't even aware of and probably break on a regular basis.

- Absolutely no FPV of any sort.
- Maximum altitude 300 feet
- No flying within 5 nautical miles of any built up area. 'Built up area' includes cities, towns and hamlets. (Canadians living in a town or city cannot fly in their back yards or in local parks or other open areas).
- You have to carry a printed copy of the federal rules (shown in the link above) when flying
- You have to have a $100,000 public liability insurance policy for the drone and you must carry it with you when flying.
- You must carry a printed copy of the drone's limitations (ie, service ceiling, maximum flight time, maximum range, maximum/minimum operating temperatures etc).
- You must produce these documents on the request of a police officer or Transport Canada inspector.

The above mentioned draconian rules do not apply to flying your Phantom recreationally. For recreational use, Phantoms are currently classified as model aircraft and the rules are reasonable. Read them here http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/ac-600-002.pdf
Note that Transport Canada is working on the new set of rules that may come to effect sometime this or next year. These are still in the consultation stage and nothing is written in stone as of yet.

No Drone Zones - Transport Canada

Foreign operators
Foreign UAV operators may only operate a UAV in Canada with an approved SFOC. To apply for an SFOC, a foreign UAV operator must already be approved/authorized to perform the intended operation in their home country. The operator must include the country’s approval/authorization as part of their SFOC application.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik