Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Taking High Res Photos with P3P

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Sarp Sekeroglu, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Sarp Sekeroglu

Hey guys, new here. I am glad I found this forum.

I had a client who wanted some aerial shots but they wanted to use them at a trade show and was planning on printing the photos at 36-inches x 76.5 inches. At that size my test photos came out quite shitty.

I am wondering if the limit is the 12 MP camera or maybe I can advance my photos with adjusting settings.

Anybody had any experience using P3P for large size prints?

Thanks!

2. GadgetGuy

Are you shooting DNG or JPG? Use DNG. Set the frame size to 4:3 and do not use 16:9 (it just crops the 4:3 into a 16:9 frame, throwing away pixels). Use the AEB setting for 5 shot exposure bracketing to give you even more latitude in post. That's all you can do camera side, to get a good exposure with high dynamic range. Post process in LR and/or PS. Satisfactory big prints from a well exposed shot will depend upon the 3rd party software used to interpolate the result into a big print. There are some better ones than LR and PS. That being said, the P3P is a far better video camera than a still camera. Good luck!

3. dhaslam

They should look reasonably OK at that size when viewed from a normal distance. In the early days of digital photography a local supermarket made window posters using an A0 printer with product photographs taken with a 640k camera. Up close the posters seemed very unsharp but in a shop window they looked fine. You cannot do much to change the actual image but the shutter speed shouldn't be too low, even if ISO has to be increased a little. Also prop balancing might be needed. Use exposure bracketing and use cross lighting or back lighting of the scene if the light is very flat.

4. Sarp Sekeroglu

Thanks guys! Will try right away. I was shooting JPG + RAW so I will try to play with the settings and do the post processing.

5. iammrbt

What better ones? Not arguing just wondering as I use those 2 and wouldn't be opposed to trying something new.

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Start with the best image you can get, ensure there is no motion blur but it's only a 12MP camera and a very basic one so there are limits.
    You could try making larger original images by shooting multi image panoramics like this
    941-21aa.jpg

7. GadgetGuy

I don't use them, as PS and LR have gotten much better, but a dedicated enlargement program might be able to squeeze out a slight improvement.
    Genuine Fractals, Perfect Resize, and an older article from 2012 with current comments discussing the topic can be found here:
    OnOne Perfect Resize Software Review

8. GadgetGuy

Use only the RAW DNG for all your post processing, and use the smaller, baked JPG just for mockups. I shoot in J+R as well.