Taking Guards on/off Repeatedly

If you use the thumbscrews just Hand tighten , I wouldn't put thread lock on them. Just use a star washer. On the phantom thread lock title was making the plastic crack

Peter Evans said:
I use '3M Dual Lock' for this purpose. It works a treat and the Phantom flies fine with the prop-guards attached this way.

All you need to do is cut away the projections on the inner side of the prop-guards where the machine screws pass through before you stick the Dual-Lock to them.

For added security (if you didn't trust the holding capabilities of the Dual-Lock's sticky back) you could always use machine screws through the Dual-Lock pieces themselves

What do you mean by cutting away the inner projections on the prop guards? Do you have a picture of that section that needs to be cut away ?

Thanks

Lenny7118 said:
What do you mean by cutting away the inner projections on the prop guards? Do you have a picture of that section that needs to be cut away ?

Thanks

No I don't have photos sorry (because on the photos I have, I've already cut them off!) but each prop-guard has two projections around each of the two screw holes (on the inside ). When you screw the prop-guard on these projections fit into two depressions around the receiving holes on the underside of the Phantom's arm-ends. However, if you're using the Dual-Lock method, you need to cut these little projections off otherwise you don't have a perfectly flat surface to stick the Dual-Lock to.

Peter Evans said:
Lenny7118 said:

Thanks

No I don't have photos sorry (because on the photos I have, I've already cut them off!) but each prop-guard has two projections around each of the two screw holes (on the inside ). When you screw the prop-guard on these projections fit into two depressions around the receiving holes on the underside of the Phantom's arm-ends. However, if you're using the Dual-Lock method, you need to cut these little projections off otherwise you don't have a perfectly flat surface to stick the Dual-Lock to.

Ok I will be able to figure it out now once I look at my props. I just needed some clarification.

Thank you

MonsieurAnon said:
If someone can send me measurements and close up photographs of the interior hole, where the screw goes, on the prop guards, I might be able to come up with some kind of quick release mechanism for them.

I'll ask the girlfriend but I don't think she'll let me photograph her! Bah ha ha

Phantom_Menace66 said:
MonsieurAnon said:
If someone can send me measurements and close up photographs of the interior hole, where the screw goes, on the prop guards, I might be able to come up with some kind of quick release mechanism for them.

I'll ask the girlfriend but I don't think she'll let me photograph her! Bah ha ha

Too funny. :lol: :lol:

Peter Evans said:
I use '3M Dual Lock' for this purpose. It works a treat and the Phantom flies fine with the prop-guards attached this way.

All you need to do is cut away the projections on the inner side of the prop-guards where the machine screws pass through before you stick the Dual-Lock to them.
I got to thinking about your set up. Why couldn't you cut holes in both pieces of the Dual Lock and not cut the projections off the guards. That would allow the dual lock to lay flat and keep your guards as a stock item if you ever wanted to sell them to some one else. The projections would just go into the holes in the arm, to some extent, and not cause any problem.

Quick Release system for DJI Prop Guards.

(stated as working on all models of the Phantom).

Atlanta Hobby is now selling a quick release system for the DJI Prop guards.
A bit pricey, but they look very interesting and seem to solve the problem.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/vi ... category=0

The devices are actually being made by AfterDarkLED.com

I have ordered a set and will respond back here, once I have a chance to evaluate them.

hdlicht said:

I have ordered a set and will respond back here, once I have a chance to evaluate them.

There's no photo or other image, sounds really pricey.

Why so expensive?

Here are a couple of photos sent to me by the actual mfg (AFTER DARK LED)

I believe that they are currently being mfgd using a 3D printer.

At the moment, Atlanta only has the white ones in stock.

Attachments

• DJI QD1 .png
    DJI QD1 .png
    105.7 KB · Views: 468
  • DJI QD2.jpeg
    DJI QD2.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 460
  • DJI QD3.jpeg
    DJI QD3.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 459
hdlicht said:

I will look forward to seeing your review......hopefully pic's too.

I'm curious with regards to VRS?

I just check Atlanta hobby, was going to order until I saw the shipping !! 12.00 to NJ , that's crazy , out of control gouging ! Christ I can get stuff from China cheaper.

Mori55 said:
I just check Atlanta hobby, was going to order until I saw the shipping !! 12.00 to NJ , that's crazy , out of control gouging ! Christ I can get stuff from China cheaper.

Whining about $12 shipping = awesome.

Thanks.

Happyflyer said:
I got to thinking about your set up. Why couldn't you cut holes in both pieces of the Dual Lock and not cut the projections off the guards. That would allow the dual lock to lay flat and keep your guards as a stock item if you ever wanted to sell them to some one else. The projections would just go into the holes in the arm, to some extent, and not cause any problem.

No reason at all why you couldn't do that. The prop-guards are so cheap new, I wasn't thinking of affecting their resale value ;)

shrill mute said:
Mori55 said:

Whining about $12 shipping = awesome.

Thanks.
It's the point, how many times have you passed buy a item on eBay with a ridiculous shipping charge ? These are small items you can put in a packet and ship for 5.00.
So where's your limit with shipping charges ? I was going to buy my vision from them and they wouldn't offer free shipping , when everyone else was. Plus the shipping at the time was over the top.
Yeah I'll whine, it's not the money it's the point .

I like the dual-lock method but I do wonder how much 'give' the prop guard have when attached this way. Will they be able to withstand a substantial hit/crash without themselves being moved into the path of the rotating props?

Big Ben said:
I like the dual-lock method but I do wonder how much 'give' the prop guard have when attached this way. Will they be able to withstand a substantial hit/crash without themselves being moved into the path of the rotating props?

It doesn't cost much to try it.

Once I had them fitted, I smacked it against a wall a few times to see what would happen. I had no problems but if you don't like the result, a bit of acetone will help you un-stick it and get back to where you were.

I tried the dual lock method , it didn't seem stiff enough for me. I'm not saying it doesn't work , I just wanted something that felt stiffer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20