Taking a phantom from UK to Mauritius, for holiday fun

Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondered if anyone has done this?
I am going in a couple of weeks and would love to be able to take my P3A.
Lots of free time, lots of good weather. Could be good fun.
Anyone done it? Anyone think of any problems issues I could have?
Thanks

Was just there last year. Did not have my copter yet. You will have great views for flying. Share back here when you return!

Hi all
Thanks

Most people I have heard of going anywhere overseas haven't had any issues! I would take it as a carry on (without the battery installed) rather than have baggage handlers throw it around (unless you have it in its own bag/case and then into a larger suitcase - then, maybe).

THE BIG ISSUE TRANSPORTING YOUR PHANTOM OVERSEAS ARE THE BATTERIES

For certain you HAVE to carry the batteries onboard with you and DO NOT check them with your luggage - even as a carry on, safety guidelines require they are at 30% or less as to charge. Quick changes in temperature and air pressure in the cargo hold make LiPo batteries unreliable and cause overheating (fire hazard).

While transporting my own work equipment that uses these battery types - I have learned that you should have the batteries is separate plastic bags to avoid any chance of them shorting out (not likely with Phantom batteries) and have them properly labeled as to content "Lithium Ion/Polymer Rechargeable Batteries Inside". I got stickers from a local battery supplier that clearly show content of the plastic bag and info on the battery - you can also get these on Amazon etc.

I got lucky and found out via an airport baggage inspector, that if I didn't want the batteries confiscated - to be sure "next time" to separate and label the bags (he gave me a break - thankfully - can you imagine that from one of those guys).

For even safer travel with the batteries - find yourself a "LiPo Safe Carrying Bag" (in fact some airlines won't allow the batteries on board unless they are in this type of bag) - your battery supplier, hobby shop or Amazon etc. should have these also. Luckily the Phantom 3 batteries are rated at less than 100Wh (category 1 for LiPo Batteries) so you are not limited to how many batteries you carry onboard with you (Phantom 3 battery @ 4480 mAh /1000=4.48Ah x 15.2v =68Wh).

Let's face it - safe airline travel with your LiPo batteries is for your own protection as well as others - right!

Think you are good as to electricity/voltage down there as to what it is in the UK (220v).

Last edited:
Also headed to Mauritius, but in March. Planning to take the P3A. Would be interested/grateful to hear about your experience. Have a great trip!

FWIW, I flew from the US to Nigeria with no problems whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the replies.
Took your advice. Sadly they wont allow the carriage of batteries

"We thank you for your email.
Unfortunately equipment powered by lithium batteries are prohibited on our flights. In this regards, you will not be able to travel with the UAV camera.
We thank you for your comprehension.
Kind Regards,
Roshni Nandkishore
Air Mauritius Reservations Department"

I'm not sure where that leaves me with smaller stuff like reg cameras and gopro's etc!

They have some mixed/conflicting messages regarding carry on and checked baggage items - for Lithium batteries, for example it states on their site..........

Items prohibited in checked baggage but permitted in hand baggage

No more than two spare lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries for consumer electronic devices. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

I suppose if they are "splitting hairs" on this with regard to "electronic devices" they might say this pertains only to cell phones or electronic games/devices - one can consider the Phantom an electronic device - no?

However since they did state "UAV Camera" I guess you are out of luck - sorry to hear that news, oh well more time with the new bride!

haha. Old bride of 20years.
I know. The holiday is meant to be for fun. So adding fears over questions and confiscation at the airport on top of dragging my 3 kids through will possibly not be a relaxing way to start and end my trip. so a blessing in disguise maybe....

Hi all
Thanks
if you take me along with you i will smuggle your phantom in the country for you, just pay for my flights, accomadation, drinks and a little spending money while im there with you and we will call it even!!:D

if you take me along with you i will smuggle your phantom in the country for you, just pay for my flights, accomadation, drinks and a little spending money while im there with you and we will call it even!!:D

Well lets see - since you will be "smuggling" - I think the accommodation, meals, drinks (water) will be covered in the old "crowbar hotel" - maybe even your return flight home! LOL.

Well lets see - since you will be "smuggling" - I think the accommodation, meals, drinks (water) will be covered in the old "crowbar hotel" - maybe even your return flight home! LOL.
Deal u don't want 2 know how I'm goung 2 smuggle it in though...it won't be pretty lol!!

Well, I intend to still try in late-March. The flight is South African Airways but I think it's operated by Air Mauritius. Will be carrying on my batteries in a LiPo guard bag. Hopefully traveling on my diplomatic passport will help diffuse any problems.

Well, FWIW, I made it to Mauritius with my P3A with no problems. Flew South African Airways from Nigeria. Now let's see if I can make it back :). Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ramphex
Phantom in a case as a check in. Batteries on yourself as a carry on in an appropriate case.

That combination should not be an issue as in 2016 most mobile electronics use Lithium-ion Polymer batteries. The key is just to not expose them to extreme conditions.

Well, FWIW, I made it to Mauritius with my P3A with no problems. Flew South African Airways from Nigeria. Now let's see if I can make it back :). Will report back.

Fantastic news - great to hear - enjoy your holiday and the P3A........oh ya and don't forget to have fun with your wife and kids too!

Reactions: phneeley
Thanks for the replies.
Took your advice. Sadly they wont allow the carriage of batteries

"We thank you for your email.
Unfortunately equipment powered by lithium batteries are prohibited on our flights. In this regards, you will not be able to travel with the UAV camera.
We thank you for your comprehension.
Kind Regards,
Roshni Nandkishore
Air Mauritius Reservations Department"

I'm not sure where that leaves me with smaller stuff like reg cameras and gopro's etc!

Made it back home with no problems. WRT above email from the airline, one of my return legs was operated by Mauritius Airlines, and I had no problems whatsoever. P3A transported into and out of Mauritius as carry-on luggage. Wasn't asked a single question either way.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
P3A transported into and out of Mauritius as carry-on luggage.

So much for the email info.........previous to your trip.........really pleased to hear all went well and you and your P3 are back home safe n sound.

How about the family - they also back along with the P3? LOL.......

As far as I know - carry on is allowed - they just don't want LiPo's in the cargo hold of any carriers!

Are ya gonna show us some of your handy work on filming?

Continued safe flying n filming!

Well, as promised, here's the viddy

Incredible job of flying and filming - not to mention editing and the choice of music. Thank you for posting this.

So tranquil and peaceful looking and your vid brings all that to life without a doubt. Doesn't look like the usual overcrowded resorts you usually see.

You found some unbelievable spots to fly and film - too funny the girl jumping around near the end of the vid - looked like the kayak girl (other half maybe?)

Can't say enough about your flying skills in some of those shots - very well done.

Beautiful area - not a bit of wonder you wanted to take your Phantom with you! Made me add that place to my "bucket list"!

Continued safe flying and filming - so where's the next destination?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20