Taking a drone to the Bahamas

Reaction score
Hi,
I will be a new P4 owner and planning a trip to the Bahamas and found this notice. Has anyone been recently and taken their drone with them? I will strictly be a hobbiest with mine. I have registered with the FAA.
Notice on Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

New Conditions governing the use of unmanned aircraft systems (drones) in The Bahamas as outlined in Special Regulation No. 1 of the 2016 Civil Aviation Department’s Safety Regulations. These regulations apply to commercial and recreational drones and are in immediate effect:

• A Certificate of Registration must first be secured from the Civil Aviation Department in order to import a drone. The Customs Department will detain drones at the border if a Certificate of Registration has not been obtained.
• Drones already in The Bahamas must be registered by February 29, 2016. Failure to do so may result in drones being detained by the Flight Standards Inspectorate of the Civil Aviation Department.
• Drones may not be operated near airports, at excessive heights, near congested or populated areas, near an organized open-air assembly, near a vessel, vehicle or structure or within close proximity to any person.

Further details on the Special Regulations may be obtained from the Civil Aviation Department, JL Center Building, Blake Roadand by contacting the Flight Standards Inspectorate of the Department at 397-4700.

Any luck here Eskew? I've been trying to contact gregory edwards but no email.

Search "Bahamas" on here and there are a couple of threads about how and who to contact. It almost seems more trouble that it's worth. Good luck!

I already did my research on that. But those are a few months ago. I'm wondering if anyone was able to get a permit most recently.

Search "Bahamas" on here and there are a couple of threads about how and who to contact. It almost seems more trouble that it's worth. Good luck!

Man I would be soooo bent outta shape if my drone was detained. Seems like you run the risk of someone not knowing enough about their own laws and seizure of your drone. Very risky IMO.

I already did my research on that. But those are a few months ago. I'm wondering if anyone was able to get a permit most recently.
Here is the one I found most informative, sorry I didn't get back before now, long day at work
BAHAMAS - customs restrictions
He put contacts and such in and it a fairly recent post

I did it during the holidays and had to remind them when they came back and then it was 1-2 days

I did it during the holidays and had to remind them when they came back and then it was 1-2 days
They must have been watching this post lol! Got it last night, thats 5 days total. Pretty good. Still don't know if they will need a bond at the airport? Did ask.

Just got back from Marsh Harbour, Abaco, got the FAA registration and written permission from Bahamas Government before I left. No issues to worry about throughout the 3 week trip. Left Heathrow 3 weeks ago for Grand Cayman, then to Miami, then Marsh Harbour - back to Miami, then Grans Cayman then to heathrow London again..... pulled aside at Heathrow on way out by security - great! using the P4 case which kept the 3 batteries separate from each other - big thing apparently. Plus batteries were less than 100 volts.... all ok - on my way. Not stopped anywhere else. Happy days!

Awesome video - excellent shots and editing too.

What do you use for edits?

Now the bad news, I have my permission letter and after reading here about the duties I asked Mr. Kenny about about the fees and received a letter stating that I would have to pay a refundable deposit upon entry with the drone. Well that's $650.00 that I need for my vacation on Eleuthera so the drone stays home. Guess my carry on will be a cooler of food instead.

Now the bad news, I have my permission letter and after reading here about the duties I asked Mr. Kenny about about the fees and received a letter stating that I would have to pay a refundable deposit upon entry with the drone. Well that's $650.00 that I need for my vacation on Eleuthera so the drone stays home. Guess my carry on will be a cooler of food instead.

Why people and countries hate so much the use of drones? I mean specially an island where people go to vacation and takes photos and videos... does not makes sense at all.

Reactions: Wibble

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj