Taking a chance?

Reaction score
Ok so I got my nearly acquired RC airplane caught in a tree. It's right on the edge and a strong wind would surely bring it down. It's in the outer most part of the branch 30ft up. There's another branch about 10 feet above that one. I'm deciding weather to try to slide in and maybe just clip the leaf and see if it moves or come in over top and the prop wash maybe push it out. Any other ideas?

In city limits or where there is a firearms restriction? I just used a shotgun couple days ago to trim a few branches that were arcing on power line and finished off with a 22
Bowfishing setup works well too.

Reactions: Reed L
Ok so I got my nearly acquired RC airplane caught in a tree. It's right on the edge and a strong wind would surely bring it down. It's in the outer most part of the branch 30ft up. There's another branch about 10 feet above that one. I'm deciding weather to try to slide in and maybe just clip the leaf and see if it moves or come in over top and the prop wash maybe push it out. Any other ideas?

I think you'd feel pretty bad if you clipped a branch and had to watch your Phantom tumble to the ground. Think I'd wait for a strong wind. Or get a helium balloon, or get some bean bags, or....

Don't do it.

Paintball gun, won't damage it and have something to catch it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Bean bags seem to be a good idea. I pulled together a couple things 1. Those "as seen on tv" rocket copters. They shoot like a small sling shot and twirl back down 2. My dogs tennis ball cannon. Never used it but it will send a ball about 25 feet so standing on my trunk might be able to make it. 3 Then I am going archaic on its *** with a tennis ball tethered to some paracord

In city limits or where there is a firearms restriction? I just used a shotgun couple days ago to trim a few branches that were arcing on power line and finished off with a 22
Bowfishing setup works well too.
+1 Just use a 22 or even a pellet gun, shoot the branch until it breaks a few inches in from the bird. Have someone below or 2 with a sheet to catch it. You may have to shoot it a few times depending on the size and type of tree. I've used a 22 to trim dead branches from trees, it's more fun then climbing them. I even had the Sheriff come out once and ask me what I was doing. I showed him the letter from the Forestry and then he took a few shots and dropped some branches himself as well. It ended up being a fun day out here in the woods :)
house8x6.jpg

Reactions: Prairie Pyro
Or maybe a utility company or a tree trimming service with a bucket truck. Offer them a few bucks to extend the boom up to the bird and bring it down.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last time I got a quad stuck high in a tree, I climbed a 20 foot ladder and used a 10 foot long 2 by 4 board to knock it down.
I've used sections of pvc pipe the same way. Usually in 10 foot sections that I have lying around. A bit lighter than a 2x4, but whatever works, right ? Darn trees anyway....[emoji31]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Rather than using your Phantom as a rather expensive tree trimmer, perhaps attaching a lightly weighted bit of fishing line with a small malleable wire half loop at the end. Snag the branch with the wire and jiggle. The trick would be to adjust the wire or rig it in such a way that it would move the branch but not get stuck on it. Else you'll be up in a bucket truck retrieving the Phantom and the plane.

Step 2. Cut down all your trees.

I've got a PCP pellet gun that is usually safe to shoot anywhere (is here in city limits) and certainly will eat away at a 2" branch

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20