Takes a Lickin' and Keeps On Tickin'!

Reaction score
This post is a positive 'thumbs' up to DJI! [emoji1417][emoji6]
A couple of weeks ago I flew my P3S above a local stream to try and get a cool video. I got a little too close to some birch trees and crashed into some branches. The darn bird fell straight down into a couple of feet of running stream water! I had to wade upstream for about 100 feet before I could find it. When I did, my heart sank- it was laying there on the bottom of the stream bed with its lights still blinking.
It had been under water for at least five minutes! I grabbed it, powered it down, and started shaking the water out of it. My wife was with me so we dried it off and jumped in the car to make the 10 minute trip home. I held it out the window while she drove and let the wind blow as much water out of it as I could. I blew it out even better with a small blower when we got home and then let it dry in the sun.
So approximately two hours after the 'swim' I tried turning it on and NOTHING.. no video, no RC connect… Nothing!
Well, needless to say I was bummed out. I had a busy time at work so two weeks later (today) I tried powering it up again.. lo and behold, EVERYTHING worked fine.. Used the same battery that was in the creek and even the camera takes pictures and video! Flying like SUPERBIRD! [emoji4]
I got off easy this time and consider it a huge lesson.. only two broken propellers and one broken prop guard!
I have to give DJI big kudos on this Phantom 3 Standard!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I wouldn't trust the battery that got submerged.

Reactions: Ridgekid
One of the warnings are that if you drop them or get them wet it would be prudent not to use them as they are basically a chemical battery, if damp gets to heart of the battery there is a likely chance of the battery catching fire which as you can imagine could be catastrophic.
Search for care of lipo batteries.

The LiPo is sealed/waterproof. That's why they puff when abused.

The damage from water occurs to the electronics in the cap which is the 'intelligent' portion.

By the way-
This story has a happy ending!
The PS3 flew better than ever this evening after getting the new prop guard.. even used the battery that was submerged. I'm a lucky pilot indeed! [emoji576][emoji97]

Hi RidgeKid, you're not kidding on the durability. I took my P3P out for a flight the day before I was due to jet off on holiday. It crashed 70ft up in a Sycamore Tree ( pilot error, it got to Critical Battery and landed itself ). I looked for 4 hours but could not find it, what a bummer. Went on holiday a bit down in the dumps. Anyway 3 WEEKS later after still more searching I found it and with a little help from my son-in-law caught it from a 70ft drop. It had been stuck there for 3 Weeks in the rain and the cold, suffered a 70ft drop and after a week of drying out it fired up first time. Glorious. Even the battery recharged and none of the props had broken everything still works as normal. What a Bird.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ridgekid
That's CRAZY!
We are both lucky dudes..
Even crazier?..
My PS3 flies even BETTER than before the 'swim'..
I was getting frequent red warnings- 'weak signal' and 'lost transmission' ..Flew several times now and NO WARNINGS!
What the?
Maybe the app updated because I hadn't flown in 2 weeks? ..Whatever.. it's flying great! [emoji576]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair