Takeoff Platform, Especially for Rotorpixel/Gimbal users

Reaction score
Because everyone likes pictures!

Phantom.jpg

Explanation: This is a Manfrotto (old geezers in the USA remember Bogen! LOL!) 183 Aluminum Projector Platform.

I put a quick release plate on it and mounted it to my tripod head. This allows me to create a LEVEL takeoff platform ANYWHERE, even on the side of a mountain!

MORE importantly for me, since I have a Rotorpixel gimbal, there is a depression in the middle (where the adjuster knob rides) that allows the camera/gimbal mechanism to sit unobstructed. In the photo it looks like the gray knob hits the camera, but it does not.

Even if you don't have a gimbal, this is a great way to launch your Phantom. This works great to help keep your Phantom out of the grass and mud. Also, you no longer have to take off in the dirt and worry about sucking up dust into the camera.

As for landing, it's a little too small for a landing pad IMHO, especially with that previously mentioned hole in the middle. So I hand catch instead.

The platform is about $50 (US) from B&H. Or you may even have one in your closet like I did, because after all, who uses slide projectors anymore? ;- )

Clever idea. But I just use two small rectangles of left-over case foam, and set the Phantom on them for takeoff with the camera moving freely in between them. They blow away on takeoff, but I always hand-catch anyway.

FSJ Guy said:
Because everyone likes pictures!

Phantom.jpg

Explanation: This is a Manfrotto (old geezers in the USA remember Bogen! LOL!) 183 Aluminum Projector Platform.

I put a quick release plate on it and mounted it to my tripod head. This allows me to create a LEVEL takeoff platform ANYWHERE, even on the side of a mountain!

MORE importantly for me, since I have a Rotorpixel gimbal, there is a depression in the middle (where the adjuster knob rides) that allows the camera/gimbal mechanism to sit unobstructed. In the photo it looks like the gray knob hits the camera, but it does not.

Even if you don't have a gimbal, this is a great way to launch your Phantom. This works great to help keep your Phantom out of the grass and mud. Also, you no longer have to take off in the dirt and worry about sucking up dust into the camera.

As for landing, it's a little too small for a landing pad IMHO, especially with that previously mentioned hole in the middle. So I hand catch instead.

The platform is about $50 (US) from B&H. Or you may even have one in your closet like I did, because after all, who uses slide projectors anymore? ;- )

There's a Bogen in my attic... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

jimre said:
Clever idea. But I just use two small rectangles of left-over case foam, and set the Phantom on them for takeoff with the camera moving freely in between them. They blow away on takeoff, but I always hand-catch anyway.

Yup, I was using two 1" x 2" pieces of wood before. But I knew it would only be a matter of time before I left them behind one day.

This solution always gives me a level takeoff site, although those foam pieces were probably cheaper than a new platform.

That's pretty cool ;)
A lot nicer than the foam interlocking tile I found at the local Home Depot.

Sent From The Black Hole Via Tapatalk HD

Its a great idea, but It needs to fit in my case.
You could take a gardening hand shovel and dig a small divot for the gimbal to rest in. And not tote so much equipment.
Launch only from grassy areas... No dirt or sand as poster suggests.

FSJ Guy said:
jimre said:

Yup, I was using two 1" x 2" pieces of wood before. But I knew it would only be a matter of time before I left them behind one day.

This solution always gives me a level takeoff site, although those foam pieces were probably cheaper than a new platform.
Nice thing about the foam blocks is they easily pack into my case - in fact, they act as extra spacer padding between the Phantom's arms. But it's annoying how easily - and how far - they get blown around by the Phantom propwash. Maybe I'll figure out some way to Velcro them to the top of my case for takeoff.

RCRookie said:
Its a great idea, but It needs to fit in my case.
You could take a gardening hand shovel and dig a small divot for the gimbal to rest in. And not tote so much equipment.
Launch only from grassy areas... No dirt or sand as poster suggests.
My clients might not always want me digging up their nice green lawns. :- p

I never know what the terrain is like until I get there. The nice thing is that I never launch too far from my vehicle. Plenty of storage and I don't have to carry it too far.

If you're hiking or carting your case around a lot, those two wooden "sticks" or foam pieces are much more practical.

jimre said:
FSJ Guy said:
jimre said:

Nice thing about the foam blocks is they easily pack into my case - in fact, they act as extra spacer padding between the Phantom's arms. But it's annoying how easily - and how far - they get blown around by the Phantom propwash. Maybe I'll figure out some way to Velcro them to the top of my case for takeoff.

Great idea for the velcro!!! Easily removable, too!

Nice idea but I feel like a pack mule already without carrying a bogen with that head assembly. I use a 1/16" thick 24"x24" piece of glossy black polycarbon sheet that attached to my case.... $19.99 shipped to my door off the aution site. If the ground is too unlevel I ramp it against my backpack till it is flat and I see the lights reflecting off the black plastic.

Heres a couple quick pictures of a leveling platform i slapped together at work for free, but at most, people should be able to build this platform for less than $20

The only materials you need are 
1- piece of 1/4 plywood for the deck (roughly 8 inches bigger than your quads footprint)
4- 2 inch strips of 3/4 plywood (or any 2x4 or 2x2) for edge pieces
3- 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch pieces of plywood for mounting the furniture t nuts for the leveling feet 
3- 3/8 x 4 inch carriage bolts for the leveling feet
1-package of 4 hammer in type furniture riveting t nuts 
1-dollar store level for leveling tubes (i opted for a centering level instead of using 2 tube levels)
1-handfull of 1 1/2 inch wood screws
1-1/8 counter sink drill bit (but any 1/8 drill bit will work)
3/8 drill bit for hole through deck for leveling bolts
29/32 drill bit for t nut holes
Wood glue

This leveling platform works great for anyone who needs a nice flat surface at any field every time

It wont let me post pics so heres a link to the pictures
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165428

Nice! Keep the ideas coming! I like how everyone is sharing their own solution that has worked for them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers