Take off problem! Please advize

Reaction score
I recently got a Phantom 1 and crashed it into the house. No surprise there. It cracked up a couple of the CF props so I ordered a new set from Amazon. They were listed for the P1, but when I got them they were difinitely shorter that the others that I had on before. I decided to try them, thinking that there might be a decrease in performance. Now, I can't get the quad off the ground. When I go full throttle, the thing just noses over. Back props are stronger than the front two. I even had a friend hold the quad up and tried a takeoff like that hoping the props might have a chance to catch up. He never let go. Said that back props definitely pulling harder than the front. Is this a prop problem or did I damage something internal? Any help much appreciated.

You'll need to go back to stock props to get an idea of where the problem is. Did you get this P1 used? Do you know what size DJI props you have for it (if any)?

It sounds like it had been fitted with the P2 props which some feel give better performance.
If it flew OK before just get a new set of the P2 ones and keep the existing OK-ish ones for spares.
You could go back to the original P1 props but possibly the gains have been changed to suit the larger ones.
It will feel different anyway if you go to the smaller ones.

I'm assuming you have the correct props on the correct arms, it CW props on CCW motors.

If these props are not the self tightening ones with the integrated nut check to make sure you have them the right way round. The markings, if they have any, should be on the upside. If they are upside down they will still be spinning in the right direction but producing much reduced thrust.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge,

They only fit on the hubs one way. I am wondering if it is a setting or something that needs to changed with the controller so that front props are turning faster to keep up with the back ones. Is this the gain setting for the motors? I have ordered more props, but being in the Bahamas means I won't get them anytime soon.

Have you calibrated the IMU since the crash. If not it sounds as though your Phantom has received a hard enough knock to upset the IMU so much that it's interpretation of level is incorrect and it's trying to compensate for the unwanted offset. Sometimes you may need to perform multiple calibrations so that the MOD values are in range and in some extreme cases actually tapping the case of the Naza flight controller is needed.

Regards

Nidge

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl