Take off + land at different altitudes?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering - is there anything wrong with taking off at one altitude (say, a 10-storey rooftop), and landing at another (say, the ground floor level of the building)? I have an idea for a video I want to film and it would involve doing this. I'm just wondering if anyone can foresee any problems with this (since I suppose at takeoff, it would be at "0 meters", but then... would it go negative when I land on the ground?

Also, is it unadvisable to perform a takeoff while holding the drone in your hands? (Perhaps the best way would be to have someone else start the rotors, and have my two hands holding both legs?)

Let me know if you think either ideas are a recipe for disaster!

There is a negative altitude limit but not sure what (200 meters comes to mind), other than that it is doable

Loss of fingers? I joke, a lot of people do it but personally I enjoy the lift off and landings

I wasn't aware of any negative altitude limit, but I suppose it could be set at -500M to match the +500M seen in the Go app.

Here's a video of a flight to -440M, with the only limitation being the bottom of the valley.

Reactions: Sinisalo
Thanks Zerone, that is reassuring!

One additional thought: are you able to auto-land without going back to the home point? For example, lets say I take off at point A, fly 20 meters to point B and hover 20 meters above point B... if I press Autoland, will it be able to 1) land at point B without trying to go back to point A where it took off, and 2) identify that the landing altitude is "negative" and figure out where the ground level is?

I've never used auto-land, but I have stick landed at over 100M away. However, it was only about 5M lower altitude. Why don't you try it in a safe environment and see what happens. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1