Take off issue...

Reaction score
Hey everyone, ok had my P2V+ for few months now and clocked up dozens of flights. I have used solid CF non self-tightening props pretty much since I got the thing and never had an issue taking off. Of course you have to give the throttle a bit of a stab or it might tip over. However.... The last few flights I've noticed it doesn't matter how hard I shove that left stick, the nose of the Phantom lifts before the tail and the props just miss the ground and it lurches backward about 2ft. Soon as it is in the air though, it's perfect. Hovers in one spot with almost no drift at all and flies beautifully.
So I tried it with the genuine DJI plastic props and the launch was even more scary, the rear props mowed the grass a couple of times! I landed and took off about a dozen times, same tilting. Tried it on grass, bitumen and concrete. same thing.
It's really annoying as it used to go straight up. Any ideas as to what is causing it or how to resolve the problem?

I had two unexpected tipovers on take-off one evening, and put it down to springy short grass at the time.
I set it on the case, which gave more clearance, and it flew fine.

At home did a full IMU although it said not needed - seemed much better next time.
It had been on its side in a backpack for an hour before -I wondered if that bothered it.

All the more reason to use prop guards, call me what you want but at least my props never get damaged......

I have always applied full throttle at take off.

No tilts, tips, or other mishaps.
(never used prop guards)

Joeg1937 said:
All the more reason to use prop guards, call me what you want but at least my props never get damaged......

If you fly properly you should never need prop guards. Prop guards to me equal too much of a chance of getting stuck in VRS.

And what do you consider " flying properly" ...I fly almost every day and fly by the book, so what else is there ?

Joeg1937 said:
And what do you consider " flying properly" ...I fly almost every day and fly by the book, so what else is there ?
Wouldn't consider flying with guards. Too easy to get stuck in VRS.

I would consider "flying properly" as not flying over people, not trying to hot dog through trees and neighborhoods and the like

But then again, that's just me.

amkorp said:
Do an IMU (full) calibration, even if the software says you don't need to. You'll be fine after that.

Do an Advanced IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface, then do a stick calibration, then compass calibration.

Mori55 said:
Why even use the carbon props ? What's wrong with the stock ones ?

Just my personal preference & in my opinion the Phantom is more responsive & hovers much smoother. I have also noticed that the plastic props are so soft, that when I fly in temperatures over 30deg C, the props become very soft & rubbery near the tips causing a loss in lift, whereas the CF props don't appear to be effected by the heat/cold & do not flex at all. Again, these are only my personal opinions brought about through trying different props in different conditions.
I also don't like the idea of self-tightening props & although very unlikely, I have read several reports of props coming off in flight. I wouldn't be keen to drive my car at speed knowing I had self-tightening wheel nuts! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj