TAGG GPS trackers -- placement IS important

Reaction score
I just thought I would share my experience with the forum. When I started enjoying the long distance flying and antenna modifications, I also decided it would be a good idea to put a GPS tracker on my bird. After some research, I decided to go with the TAGG system. I originally found this picture on this forum and placed mine in the same location:

Everything worked OK, but shortly after, I noticed that I was having a difficult time maintaining the 2.4 connection. The video also seemed to be a little jumpy and I couldn't seem to get the same range out of my amplified 2.4 as before. It wasn't horrible, but noticeably degraded. I originally didn't make the connection between the TAGG tracker and my observations. I started troubleshooting antennas and such. Well, last night I figured it out on accident when I took the TAGG off to charge it and did some local flying. Turns out that inside that entire gray band is a , flat, solid band of copper antenna that would also act as a signal shield. The stock 2.4 bird antennas sit just behind where the band was resting against the body. Now realizing the cause, I decided to move the TAGG to the front of the bird. I went on a test flight this morning and all went well. Smooth 640x480 video out to almost 10,000 feet down range with my FPVLR stage 2+. I also stopped at about a mile out and performed a TAGG GPS track test and it worked perfectly. Needless to say, this is where my TAGG tracker now lives:

Hoping this might help someone that might be facing the same or similar challenges.

Attachments

• GPS_Bottom.JPG
    GPS_Bottom.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 690
  • GPS_Repositioned.JPG
    GPS_Repositioned.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 670
This is excellent information. Tks for sharing.

I never had a problem with my Tagg on the underbelly as shown in your first picture. I use the Flytrex Live now, and have retired my Core 2 and my Tagg. If anyone is interested in those, HMU.

BobUnplugged said:
I never had a problem with my Tagg on the underbelly as shown in your first picture. I use the Flytrex Live now, and have retired my Core 2 and my Tagg. If anyone is interested in those, HMU.

Yeah, I probably wasn't very clear when I said it wasn't horrible... but if I weren't doing long distance flights, I might not have ever noticed (or cared) and probably wouldn't have looked into it. I put this in the antenna mods section because most of the people that visit here are also entertained by sending these things out for long range flights. Of course, there could also be a difference in the way that we were using the TAGG. I always put mine in a 30 minute active track before I send it out.

I was going to go with the Flytrex live because I think it offers some awesome features, but it kinda sidesteps the intent for long distance flight mishap tracking because it runs on the same battery power as the bird.

BobUnplugged said:

Bob, I may be interested in your Tagg if you still have it.

I just bought the Marco Polo tracker. Which leg and how have you attached it kirbinster? Thanks in advance. Btw I bought it after reading one of your posts and checking a few other options... This one seems the best.

I'm using the carbon fiber camera and gimbal protector. I had the MP zipped to a leg but it was cumbersome and antenna would creep into FOV. So I just zipd across the CF protector behind gimbal and that's it. Seems pretty good. Would take a hell of a hit to lose the protector and tracker...

I have mine connected to the front right leg...the only leg without a wire

I am using the included large rubber strap to hold it on

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl