Taco ND filter Vs. Taco MC ND

Reaction score
My question is, what is the big difference between the two. I get the MC ND filters help with reflection, but as far as post production, which is better for color grading. Does the MC ND filter make color grading more difficult because it saturates the image more or does it not make a difference in post production.

Not sure about the difference in Color, but you should also consider the quality of the glass of the Lens. I have to say my new Polar Pro Cinema filters provide a great image, in addition every filter is polarized. I love being able to cut the glare and get rid of a lot more Lens Flare when you have direct sun to deal with.

Shouldn't have any effect on the color. The multi coating is advertised to reduce reflection from the back surface of the filter. In bright light situations, theoretically, light passing through the filter and bouncing off the metal surfaces of the camera would strike the back of the filter and some would be reflected back and could strike the surface of the camera lens adding some glare. The mc would cause more of the light to be transmitted out and away. So what happens? A ND8 filter would pass about 12% of the light. Say for argument, 10% of the stray light bounces back to the filter. Now down to 1.2% of the incident light. An uncounted lens will reflect about 20%, down to 0.25%. Even if all the reflected light goes into the camera, that's not much! MC elements are used more to increase transmission (from 80% to as much as 98-99%) in multiple element lens designs. Having said all that, I would have probably considered the MC version if they had been available when I bought my Tacos although I am very satisfied with the uncoated ones that I have.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie