Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

I did research before buying a dedicated monitor and opted for the iPad mini 2 because it is absolutely identical to the iPad mini 3 without the touch I.D. for anyone who'd like a less expensive option, I think it'd be an obvious addition to your list of great monitors.

Since receiving my P3P, I've used my Nexus 7 (2013) LTE, but I've just acquired the just-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0, and from the test flight I made earlier this week, I had no problems, whatsoever. Using the Nexus 7, I've had the same problems (app crashing, choppy video feed, etc) experienced by others. Next week, I'll make several more flights using the ZenPad S 8.0, and, as long as it continues to be problem-free, this will replace my Nexus 7 as my P3P tablet.

Out of curiosity- did you remove all of the background apps on the Nexus? I'm researching it now and getting mixed feedback.

I am very happy with my Samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4". I did downgrade googleplay services which is know to have issues conflicting with DJI Pilot in the android arena. Just the right size, lightweight and no overheating problems with or without video cache enabled.
Hi how do you downgrade googleplay

iPad mini 2. Perfect size, not too heavy, great retina display, doesn't seem to loosen the cradle at all due to weight.

Out of curiosity- did you remove all of the background apps on the Nexus? I'm researching it now and getting mixed feedback.

I have read that some other people have "downgraded" certain things, from Google Play Services to stock Google Apps, I have not. My Nexus 7 is a "working" tablet, albeit in a somewhat minor way. While I do have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition), plus the aforementioned Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (which was purchased to be my DJI-controller tablet, & nothing else), my Nexus 7 is my primary reading device, plus I occasionally use it for email, to read Engadget, checking weather, & a few other things.

Personally, I can't see spending several hundred dollars on a tablet that is only going to be used for pairing with the Phantom controller. That is why the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 is perfect. The hardware is considerably better than the N7, it has a microSD slot (which the N7 doesn't have), and, at $199, it costs approximately half what the N7 cost (my N7, bring the LTE version, was $350).

Last edited:
Thank you for the info- the Nexus 7 that I am looking at is $149 on Amazon (I may be looking at the wrong thing). If that price is accurate I could justify stripping it and using it only for the Phantom.

My iPad Air works great but one day thought I would try my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and could not get a connection, the controller would start the Phantom 3 but I had a blank screen and No Connection in top status bar. My first attempt got a pop up screen that I needed to enable USB debugging which I did but still no connection. Any ideas?

Thank you for the info- the Nexus 7 that I am looking at is $149 on Amazon (I may be looking at the wrong thing). If that price is accurate I could justify stripping it and using it only for the Phantom.
That is what I use. Updated it to lollipop, stripped off unnecessary apps, downgraded Google play services last. No issues or lag. The nexus 7 has really good hardware and screen rez and is a nice size for this. I did add a glare reducing screen cover, which has been very useful for both glare and fingerprints. While on wifi I cache maps where I'll fly, then cut wifi off when I fly. Solid and cost effective performer if you want a fairly cheap dedicated screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylor Magyar
I use a galaxy tab 3 7". I have nothing to compare it to. I downgraded play services and killed all other apps. It's not a smooth video feed but definitely a usable feed. I also have video cache turned on. I don't know if it would change anything with it turned off.

Since receiving my P3P, I've used my Nexus 7 (2013) LTE, but I've just acquired the just-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0, and from the test flight I made earlier this week, I had no problems, whatsoever. Using the Nexus 7, I've had the same problems (app crashing, choppy video feed, etc) experienced by others. Next week, I'll make several more flights using the ZenPad S 8.0, and, as long as it continues to be problem-free, this will replace my Nexus 7 as my P3P tablet.

Please keep us updated. I am leaning toward this.....

I am an android guy. I see mixed reviews on nearly every android device besides the nVidia Shield. But I can't find that in stock anywhere. The Nexus 9 looks like it uses the same processor. Can someone point me to a downgrading Goggle services tutorial?

Did you get the $199 version with 2Gb of RAM or the $299 4GB model with faster CPU?
Where did you purchase it dropped from

Thanks

Did you get the $199 version with 2Gb of RAM or the $299 4GB model with faster CPU?
Where did you purchase it dropped from
Thanks

I purchased the 2GB/32GB version (aka Z580C), as the 4GB version (aka Z580CA) isn't yet available. As for the Z580C, I've provided a link to the specs, below:

https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580C/specifications/

Essentially, the two models are the same, with the only difference being the RAM (2GB vs 4 GB), & the Z580CA having a slightly faster CPU. Considering the $199 price, you really can't go wrong with the Z580C. It doesn't matter if you're planning on using it as the P3's tablet, a tablet for other uses, or both...it's still considerably better, in almost every possible way, than the Nexus 7.

That doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of the N7, as it still has PLENTY of other uses. For a "worst-case scenario", I'd give the N7 to my girlfriend, as she's been interested in a tablet for reading, to which I'd get myself the Z580CA (once released) as a replacement for my N7...and I'd still use the Z580C for my P3P.

I purchased the 2GB/32GB version (aka Z580C), as the 4GB version (aka Z580CA) isn't yet available. As for the Z580C, I've provided a link to the specs, below:

Essentially, the two models are the same, with the only difference being the RAM (2GB vs 4 GB), & the Z580CA having a slightly faster CPU. Considering the $199 price, you really can't go wrong with the Z580C. It doesn't matter if you're planning on using it as the P3's tablet, a tablet for other uses, or both...it's still considerably better, in almost every possible way, than the Nexus 7.

That doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of the N7, as it still has PLENTY of other uses. For a "worst-case scenario", I'd give the N7 to my girlfriend, as she's been interested in a tablet for reading, to which I'd get myself the Z580CA (once released) as a replacement for my N7...and I'd still use the Z580C for my P3P.

Thanks for the info. I am new to the Phantom P3P, I normally fly the big DJI S900 with Lightbridge and currently use a Samsung Note 3, which is ok for Lightbridge.
Do you feel the Asus screen is any brighter then the Nexus 7?
Lastly is there much difference between IOS verses Android for the Pilot App

Thanks for the info. I am new to the Phantom P3P, I normally fly the big DJI S900 with Lightbridge and currently use a Samsung Note 3, which is ok for Lightbridge.
Do you feel the Asus screen is any brighter then the Nexus 7?
Lastly is there much difference between IOS verses Android for the Pilot App

First, regarding iOS vs Android versions, I cannot say. Prior to a few years ago, I was never anti-Apple...only anti-Steve Jobs. However, due to Apple's increasingly negative business practices over the past 5-7 years (in all honesty, the company has never had morally good business practices since Jobs retook control of the company), that persuaded me to never purchase Apple products again.

As for a Nexus 7 vs ZenPad S 8.0 screen comparison, I will admit that the N7 does apart to have a slightly brighter screen, but I haven't done an actual side-by-side comparison...yet...something that, due to your bringing it up, I will take care of today, and report back. At the same time, I can tell you that the increased screen resolution in the ZenPad S 8.0 makes a huge difference, especially if you're also planning on using the ZenPad for other uses.

Since the Pilot app seems to be such a resource hog, I'm wondering if the extra 2GB of memory will give more stable performance over time.

First, regarding iOS vs Android versions, I cannot say. Prior to a few years ago, I was never anti-Apple...only anti-Steve Jobs. However, due to Apple's increasingly negative business practices over the past 5-7 years (in all honesty, the company has never had morally good business practices since Jobs retook control of the company), that persuaded me to never purchase Apple products again.

As for a Nexus 7 vs ZenPad S 8.0 screen comparison, I will admit that the N7 does apart to have a slightly brighter screen, but I haven't done an actual side-by-side comparison...yet...something that, due to your bringing it up, I will take care of today, and report back. At the same time, I can tell you that the increased screen resolution in the ZenPad S 8.0 makes a huge difference, especially if you're also planning on using the ZenPad for other uses.

Thanks and looking forward to your results. My wife has an iPad mini 2 which I can also use yet to me the screen does not do to well outdoors.
So I assume on the Nexus 7, this is some video lag where as the new Asus there is very little ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.