Tablet Suggestion

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to the drone hobby and looking for a tablet suggestion. I recently ordered a Phantom 4, which I plan to initially fly with my iphone. I'd eventually like to get a tablet, it would be used mostly for the drone. I'm considering an ipad mini or a used Ipad air 2. What do most people prefer? I'm not limited to those tablets and open to any suggestions. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Trey

If going with a Mini, make sure it's at least an iPad Mini 2. You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

If it's not going to bust the budget, I'd go with an iPad Pro 9.7" over the iPad Air 2 all day.

if you want to go Android the Nvidia shield K1 is a good one.

I use Android in my daily work but I would only use iPhone/iPad devices for this. I work with mobile devices (I have 20 different ones) and all of the androids, even the latest, lag and lose connection with video. The iOS devices work flawlessly with DJI stuff.

It really, really, really, really, really, really F'ing sucks because I paid my own money for a Tab S2 to use.

I don't do apple, never have and unless Google go bust I probably never will, I use a 2 year old galaxy tab S 8.4 with absolutely no issues at all

Reactions: konidair
Nothing apple has appeals to me, it's just a overhyped status thing IMO and people fall for it but each to their own as they say

I used my iPhone 6 then bought a recon mini 2. I used to hate apple with a passion but I won't go back now. I was tempted by the shield but luckily I had a go with a Samsung and it reminded me of why I changed my attitude to Apple. Each to their own they are good and bad in some ways........

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't ever try them. You probably won't go back to Android ;)

I use both types in my daily life and refuse to get caught up in the "religious" battles, both have their strengths and weeknesses. I haven't used my Tab S yet for drone control, I should give it a try, would be nice to have a lighter control system.

both have their strengths and weeknesses.
Yes, sir. And, it's most important to understand the strengths and weaknesses that apply to the Phantom specifically. For Android, that's its lower price point and available 3rd party apps. Apple devices are more expensive, but they tend to be easier for the average person to use right out of the box.

if you want to go Android the Nvidia shield K1 is a good one.

Hey man, I'm looking to buy a tablet for flying as well. Have you ever tried the K1 in really hot conditions? I live tropical and have heard it may overheat easy.

Thanks

Do you have to activate the cellular service or just have one that is capable?
You don't need to do either to fly a Phantom. Many people fly with Wi-Fi only devices.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic