Tablet P3 Standard

Reaction score
So I have a Nextbook Ares 8 tablet that I am probably going to take back to Walmart. I've used it a few times now and only once has it worked right. I've used my phone and all works great each time so I know it's the tablet. Yesterday it gave me a battery error while flying and then at a different location it gave me a weak signal error while only 300 ft up and one hundred feet out in a wide open field. Switch to my phone and no issues. So I am in the market for another tablet. I'm debating between an iPad mini 2 and a Google Nexus 7. Any ideas which one is better or which one has a brighter screen??

Reactions: dynamic3dSolutions
nivida k1

So I have a Nextbook Ares 8 tablet that I am probably going to take back to Walmart. I've used it a few times now and only once has it worked right. I've used my phone and all works great each time so I know it's the tablet. Yesterday it gave me a battery error while flying and then at a different location it gave me a weak signal error while only 300 ft up and one hundred feet out in a wide open field. Switch to my phone and no issues. So I am in the market for another tablet. I'm debating between an iPad mini 2 and a Google Nexus 7. Any ideas which one is better or which one has a brighter screen??

I love using my Ipad 2 with my phantom. Very big screen and haven't had any issues with it. I would suggest getting a tablet extender for your controller clip either way you go.
Dynamic 3D Solutions

Here's a comparison with the brightness maxed out on both tablets:

IMG_1674.JPG

The Google Nexus 7 (2013) does have a brighter display (not by much), but the iPad Mini 2's display is sharper.

image.jpeg

New to the forum, so if I'm screwing up ... Let me know.

I bought a cheap Lollipop 5.1 tablet at BestBuy for my P3S, the Digiland DL718M (withGPS) for $49.00. Seems to work well. Didn't have a means to attach it to the controller, so I glued a piece of high density foam on the back and used the included phone mount/clip. Problem solved. Fits easily in my case also.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I love using my Ipad 2 with my phantom. Very big screen and haven't had any issues with it. I would suggest getting a tablet extender for your controller clip either way you go.
Dynamic 3D Solutions

Do you have cellular version for just wifi??
How do you go about gps, home position, map caching etc??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Digiland HAS GPS on it. No cell contract required. It works "most" of the time.

Started out using the iPhone 6 with DJIGo but it seemed to eat the battery and left me too low for mobile phone use / comfort.
Have a horrible screen cheap 10" Android and it takes both the Litchi and DJI apps but the definition is rubbish. The 10" is also too large to bolt on to the controller without being unruly. (Battery is also large though :))
Then found my old Nexus 7 (early adopter) but it wont install the present iteration of Android DJI Go. Litchi does load and install however, so problem solved. As in previous post the issue of how to bolt onto the controller needed resolved. Sorted this weekend with a 3D print of a bracket which locates in the original iPhone carrier jaws.
IMG_0810.JPG

Last edited:
I tried one of those "type" of tablet holders, I found the added weight of the tablet compared to a phone made the plastic arm very unstable. I also didn't trust the stock clamp to hold the tablet holder. It felt wobbly and I feared it would rotate around. I tried trying to tighten the plastic arm and it didn't help as the plastic nut started coming out of the plastic...

I decided to go with a hybrid mix of the Inspire holder and a metal mount that doesn't require drilling from ebay. Its strong enough to hold my full-sized Ipad Air" (I'm old so the more viewing space I have the better :) )

Of course, YMMV

Started out using the iPhone 6 with DJIGo but it seemed to eat the battery and left me too low for mobile phone use / comfort.
Have a horrible screen cheap 10" Android and it takes both the Litchi and DJI apps but the definition is rubbish. The 10" is also too large to bolt on to the controller without being unruly. (Battery is also large though :))
Then found my old Nexus 7 (early adopter) but it wont install the present iteration of Android DJI Go. Litchi does load and install however, so problem solved. As in previous post the issue of how to bolt onto the controller needed resolved. Sorted this weekend with a 3D print of a bracket which locates in the original iPhone carrier jaws.View attachment 44644

I tried one of those "type" of tablet holders, I found the added weight of the tablet compared to a phone made the plastic arm very unstable. I also didn't trust the stock clamp to hold the tablet holder. It felt wobbly and I feared it would rotate around. I tried trying to tighten the plastic arm and it didn't help as the plastic nut started coming out of the plastic...

I decided to go with a hybrid mix of the Inspire holder and a metal mount that doesn't require drilling from ebay. Its strong enough to hold my full-sized Ipad Air" (I'm old so the more viewing space I have the better :) )

Of course, YMMV

Might you be able to post a link where you've purchased that bracket? I'm looking for the exact same thing. I'm not willing to drill into the controller, but would love to use a larger screen.

Might you be able to post a link where you've purchased that bracket? I'm looking for the exact same thing. I'm not willing to drill into the controller, but would love to use a larger screen.
Yes can you please post a link to where we can purchase please.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2016-02-15 14.56.27.jpg
I got mine from them they come in all the time so check everyday they will have them

Of course, YMMV

Does the mounts metal finish match the rest of the metal on the controller?

I like mine
2016-02-23 17.49.27.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4