Tablet Mount For Up To 10" Tablets

Farside said:
pyrophantom said:
If anyone is looking for a suitable mount for up to 10" tablets which fits the existing 3/4" ball mount of your transmitter, I can thoroughly recommend the SATECHI ST-TP01
Got the mount and it's great, thanks.

I'm shopping for a case for the PV2+ now though and wondering if anyone knows of a case that can accommodate this mount.
I'm all for removing the tablet from the mount when packing up but I'd rather not remove the mount to pack up the remote if I can help it.
(and one that stores the Phantom with the blades on)

I ordered a Nanuk 950 Case, cubed foam. Fit all my gear including tx with iPad Mini installed.

cougar said:
Farside said:
I'm shopping for a case for the PV2+ now though and wondering if anyone knows of a case that can accommodate this mount.
I'm all for removing the tablet from the mount when packing up but I'd rather not remove the mount to pack up the remote if I can help it.
(and one that stores the Phantom with the blades on)

I ordered a Nanuk 950 Case, cubed foam. Fit all my gear including tx with iPad Mini installed.
Thanks for the reply, Cougar.
Their website is a little lacking... they have a pic for custom Phantom foam but I can't find anything about it. Just "contact us". Meh.
Anyway... you said you have the cubed foam. Any chance you could take a picture of it with all your gear in it?

The more I'm looking at cases, the more I'm liking the HPRC 2700WPHA2.. but it appears I'll have to do some trimming of the foam to fit the tablet mount. I'm not liking that idea because I've yet to see trimmed foam that doesn't look butchered, but I really like the idea of the Phantom's arms/blades resting surrounded by foam so I may have to put up with the hack job.

pyrophantom said:
If anyone is looking for a suitable mount for up to 10" tablets which fits the existing 3/4" ball mount of your transmitter, I can thoroughly recommend the SATECHI ST-TP01

If fits superbly, has fully adjustable arms, and an incredible suction device which holds onto the back of the tablet, which locks down. The whole thing then just tightens onto the ball joint and you have a rock steady tablet to enjoy your FPV without any modifications to your existing setup, so if you are like me (I have a Samsung Tab3 8.0" Tablet for flying) and you dont want to mess around modding, then I dont think you can do better than this item. A great buy and can recommend it. I got mine from Ebay US as could not find one in the UK.

Enjoy !

;)

For anyone buying this mount, here are a couple of provisos. It does indeed attach to the stock ball mount on the transmitter so that is awesome. However, since the back of my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 is not smooth I needed to attach the 3M disk to the back of the tablet to get the suction cup to work. Not ideal, but it works.

Also, the fingers of the mount are smooth plastic and appear to be designed to better hold the tablet in a portrait configuration but to be usable on the transmitter we need landscape orientation. I have it set this way but it's so smooth that it doesn't grip the tablet. Because of this, if the suction fails, there is nothing to keep the tablet from sliding out and falling to the ground. This scares me so I am searching for some non-skid pads to place in the finger grips to hug the tablet and give it more support.

On a side note, as others have already said, while the screen is larger and that is very helpful, the FPV image is simply zoomed on a tablet so it appears very pixelated. It looks better on my iPhone, but it's more useful on the tablet so anyone weighing their options can decide which is more important to them. I'll edit my post if I find a good solution for the fingers.

Hey flying comrades!

Just for those of you who are using the traditional bigger model of ipad as FPV monitor when flying, here is my new found treasure after haunting one of the many electronic market in Shanghai. Alas, i cannot give you a brand or a model reference number cos i'm not sure there is,just some random chinese brand, but i'm sure something similar can be found overseas. Here is a link on Taobao, chinese ebay, where you can check what they originally sells for.

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=37191351942

Best perk is that i use the original arm/ball, just took out the phone holder itself. The ipad holder can fit on the same support ball, i just slightly set the arm lower so have more space for fingers on S2 switch. works perfect with my ipad air, but can clamp into even bigger, or smaller obviously, since its adjustable. I can even set my iphone on it.

Thought i'd share this found in here as well, can be quite useful for bigger monitor as well. Also, it comes with a 1.20m support bendable tube that you can clip on a table or anywhere to set your ipad in an adjustable position.

Good find, good find !

Average.joe.rc.flyer said:
Thanks so much Pyrophantom.
This has worked out great for me.
Attached a few pics to compare to my old phantom 1 setup.
QfPaHNx.jpg

AkKv4Qk.jpg

This is a beautiful setup. I assume the shade is this one? http://amzn.com/B0062WRU8A

If so, how does it attach on the back of the tablet?
Also, your screen looks great on the tablet. Did you change any settings to get it clear? Mine is pixelated like it's been zoomed.

Anybody out there have an open source 3d file for a 7 inch tablet holder for the P2V+ Controller?
Appreciate. Thanks.
Allan

My old eyes can't read much of the P2V data on my iPhone. The battery data, number of satellites and 'radar' screen and a blur unless I put on my readers and bring the screen in close. Solution: iPad Mini. I bought one and it's much easier to read.

I bought a iPad Mini shell with a ball head at Amazon for $25.

http://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Nootle-iP ... ad+grifiti

There is a model for the iPad

http://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Nootle-Ip ... ad+grifiti

And a model for the iPad Air

http://www.amazon.com/Grifiti-Nootle-re ... ad+grifiti

Just wanted to share a new find for a tablet mount, that among all the mentioned choices, seems to fit my needs the best. It fits perfectly on the stock ball mount, and it's less bulky than the Satechi ST-TP01 (and also has higher quality materials). There are two models, both under $20 and both have a nice rubberized black finish with rubber clamps. The design is such that you can place the claws off center, and also move the mounting point vertically in related to the clamps. This allows the tablet to be centered relative to the controller if desired.

Satechi Universal Dashboard Mount (Black, for 6.5" - 8.9" Tablets) (the one I bought for my Galaxy Tab 4 7")

Satechi Universal Dashboard Mount (Black, for 8.9" - 11.0" Tablets)

There are other similar Satechi models that MAY have a compatible ball mount, but I can only vouch for these ones as a perfect fit on the stock ball mount.

Hope it helps...

Attachments

• 2014-05-20 23.21.07.jpg
    2014-05-20 23.21.07.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 843
Reactions: jetlag
varmint said:
Just wanted to share a new find for a tablet mount, that among all the mentioned choices, seems to fit my needs the best. It fits perfectly on the stock ball mount, and it's less bulky than the Satechi ST-TP01 (and also has higher quality materials). There are two models, both under $20 and both have a nice rubberized black finish with rubber clamps. The design is such that you can place the claws off center, and also move the mounting point vertically in related to the clamps. This allows the tablet to be centered relative to the controller if desired.

Satechi Universal Dashboard Mount (Black, for 6.5" - 8.9" Tablets) (the one I bought for my Galaxy Tab 4 7")

Satechi Universal Dashboard Mount (Black, for 8.9" - 11.0" Tablets)

There are other similar Satechi models that MAY have a compatible ball mount, but I can only vouch for these ones as a perfect fit on the stock ball mount.

Hope it helps...
Wow... I really like that one. Thanks Varmint.

Any chance you could post a shot of it looking at the controller straight on?
It looks like it completely clears S1 and S2... which is nice.

How are the padded grips as far as side to side goes? No chance of it sliding out of the holder?

Biggest thing that has me intrigued (judging solely from the looks of it) is that it seems like it would be easier to hack up the foam in a case to fit it in there seeing as it doesn't appear to protrude away from the controller as much.... that's the one thing stopping me right now from finding a case.

I'll post another pic head-on when I get home. It does clear both switches nicely, BTW. Also, the clamps are rubberized and hold the tablet very securely even when they're offset from the center of the tablet, although I would recommend getting the version that best fits your tablet size (e.g. use the smallest possible version), since the spring tension will presumably be tighter the farther you have to open the clamps.

varmint said:
It does clear both switches nicely, BTW. Also, the clamps are rubberized and hold the tablet very securely even when they're offset from the center of the tablet, although I would recommend getting the version that best fits your tablet size (e.g. use the smallest possible version), since the spring tension will presumably be tighter the farther you have to open the clamps.
Thanks, Varmint. I went ahead and ordered. (**** that Amazon and its "Want it tomorrow?" timer... YES I do! :lol: )

I'll post another pic head-on when I get home.
That would be great, thanks man.

I've got a 7" tablet, but even that mounted at the back feels quite unbalanced.
This is a neat solution installed now.
http://s6.postimg.org/6i4guojgh/IMG_2169.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg

It's like this but he has mounted it the other way around.
The clamp can be rotated 90 degress and then nicely holds a smartphone by holding it endways.
The jellyfish mount is easily removed with that one knurled bolt to put the controller in a case without catching anything adjacent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4BgMGJPGY[/youtube]

I've tried one of those exact same aluminum clamps (they come from China by the boatload), but it invariably fails because the only thing keeping the hinged "platform" from flopping over from the weight of the display is a single hex screw set into low-grade aluminum. They simply do not work without loctite, and even then, there's nothing preventing lateral slop from occurring at the main attachment point. It was loose 100% of the time.

I'm glad it's working for you, but after much frustration trying to use those exact same brackets, I felt it was poorly designed and built to the point where it was just useless (IMO). Maybe I got a bad unit, but it wasn't stripped, it just continually kept failing.

Man there is a hole in the market for these. I can't easily find one. I have to look at US stores mostly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub