tablet holder solution for controller

I use this stock-alike clamp for Nexus 7.

Attachments

• TX_Nexus7-1.JPG
    TX_Nexus7-1.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 514
webravager said:
tizzl10 said:
yeah you should have no issues mouting the air to the holder now that I think about it, however with the stock mount im not sure you will have clearance on the bottom of your ipad and the controls. you may have to move the bracket all the way towards the top of the controller. let me know how it turns out.

I bought the one you recommended and this one as well, since it adjusts the holder vertically which should allow clearance at the bottom of the iPad to keep it from overhanging the top of the controller and interfering with any of the controls, my only worry with this one will be if the ball mount is the wrong size.. and if worse goes to worse that will leave me with a good mount to use my iPad in my car:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VG6LDE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails
I got both the Amazon Basics mount and this one. Both fit the DJI ball mount arm, the Saitechi is a little tighter to put on the ball but works ok. The Amazon mount works fine and is easy to take the Nexus 7 on and off of it (Spring arms with rubber pads). It is near the sticks so you have to tilt the tablet slightly upward to have good clearance to operate the sticks but it still has a good viewing angle.The Satechi mount puts the Nexus more forward giving more room to tilt the tablet up and down with room behind it for the sticks but it is a major project to take the tablet on and off of it. It also won't fit into my case without removing it. Mount the Saitechi with the arms on the left and right sides of the tablet and use the suction cup or the tablet will fall out of it. If you mount it top to bottom the arms stick above and below it and are in the way of the controls.

I will be using the Amazon Basics unit unless it has a problem with glare being tilted more upward toward the sun (Haven't used either one yet, they both arrived today).

gunslinger said:
PVFlyer said:
tizzl10 said:
that's cool too..where'd you find that?

I found it from tmall.com. You may refer to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183&start=210 for further details.

Very nice find!!! I wonder how you'd go about buying one of those if you're located in the U.S?

-slinger
Very difficult to say. I have bought some stuff off their parent site called Taobao and it just depends on the merchant. Sometimes they freak out when approached in a mixture of English and Google translate Chinese and pretend not to understand but others really try hard to help. I am going to contact them tomorrow and will post here what happens. The problem is likely to be how to pay as nearly all use Union Pay and not visa/Mc.

An answer would be to do a group buy and then send by bank transfer but I have no idea what the demand would be. I have some knowledge how these taobao shops work and it is so fiercely competitive that they will be selling single pieces at wholesale prices so the difference between 1 & 100 will only be a couple of percent.

pault said:
Very difficult to say. I have bought some stuff off their parent site called Taobao and it just depends on the merchant. Sometimes they freak out when approached in a mixture of English and Google translate Chinese and pretend not to understand but others really try hard to help. I am going to contact them tomorrow and will post here what happens. The problem is likely to be how to pay as nearly all use Union Pay and not visa/Mc.

An answer would be to do a group buy and then send by bank transfer but I have no idea what the demand would be.

This is exactly what I looked high and low for over a period of weeks. I finally wound up with a similar setup using a "Seasucker" suction cup unit. It's okay, but not nearly as convenient as this thing. Maybe we could start a thread to see how many are interested, then, if there's enough interest, do a group buy...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
pault said:

An answer would be to do a group buy and then send by bank transfer but I have no idea what the demand would be.

This is exactly what I looked high and low for over a period of weeks. I finally wound up with a similar setup using a "Seasucker" suction cup unit. It's okay, but not nearly as convenient as this thing. Maybe we could start a thread to see how many are interested, then, if there's enough interest, do a group buy...

-slinger
Let us see what interest there is. Having been involved in something similar but different hobby (home brew beer) I know that the 2 dollars in China will probably turn into nearer 20 when they have been imported and distributed round the world. If that sort of price would be acceptable it might be a go-er.

tizzl10, I just noticed you and I have pretty much the same setup now. I got the mount from amazon you post and it works good. Everything with that part went smooth and no modifying. I had also ordered a sunscreen someone posted on this thread and it showed up yesterday. I noticed it will take some modifying in order to attach it. However, I'm not so sure with the Nexus 7 it will even need the sunshade. Once the brightness is set to it's highest setting, it's pretty bright. Either way if I were to use the sunshade I ordered from this thread I will want it so that no part of it will have to permanently stay attached to the Nexus 7.

Ok so here is something I noticed about using the Nexus 7 over my Smartphone... I'm not sure how to explain it but there is a obvious difference using the DJI Vision app on this device. The Camera Tilt Control is not present when select to hide the flight parameters. After pressing that button it only shows video. On my phone when this is selected, you remain able to tilt the camera. The sad part is, this is when the screen is at it's largest viewing point.

I don't know if I gave a very good description on what it is I'm referring to, but either I'm over looking something or the app is not meant for use with a tablet.

I also want to mention that going from my smartphone's 4.7 inch screen to the nexus 7's 7.02 inch makes a big difference in how well you can see things in detail while operating the P2V! The current app doesn't use all of the nexus 7's screen from what I can tell, but what it does use makes a nice improvement. For those of you that are just finding out that your options are limited on the p2v compared to others, this is a nice option.

flyNfrank said:
tizzl10, I just noticed you and I have pretty much the same setup now. I got the mount from amazon you post and it works good. Everything with that part went smooth and no modifying. I had also ordered a sunscreen someone posted on this thread and it showed up yesterday. I noticed it will take some modifying in order to attach it. However, I'm not so sure with the Nexus 7 it will even need the sunshade. Once the brightness is set to it's highest setting, it's pretty bright. Either way if I were to use the sunshade I ordered from this thread I will want it so that no part of it will have to permanently stay attached to the Nexus 7.

Ok so here is something I noticed about using the Nexus 7 over my Smartphone... I'm not sure how to explain it but there is a obvious difference using the DJI Vision app on this device. The Camera Tilt Control is not present when select to hide the flight parameters. After pressing that button it only shows video. On my phone when this is selected, you remain able to tilt the camera. The sad part is, this is when the screen is at it's largest viewing point.

I don't know if I gave a very good description on what it is I'm referring to, but either I'm over looking something or the app is not meant for use with a tablet.

I also want to mention that going from my smartphone's 4.7 inch screen to the nexus 7's 7.02 inch makes a big difference in how well you can see things in detail while operating the P2V! The current app doesn't use all of the nexus 7's screen from what I can tell, but what it does use makes a nice improvement. For those of you that are just finding out that your options are limited on the p2v compared to others, this is a nice option.

are you talking about when it auto hides? if you are, there is an option to turn auto-hide off on the settings screen..not sure if this is what you are talking about or not.

tizzl10 said:
flyNfrank said:

are you talking about when it auto hides? if you are, there is an option to turn auto-hide off on the settings screen..not sure if this is what you are talking about or not.

No I was not referring to that. Actually I got my issue figured out and the Nexus 7 app configuration was same as smartphone. However, it seems to not like cold weather. I just came in from flying and 1 hour ago it was 42 degrees, and it's now 26 degrees and my fingers are crying. My fingers were frost bitten a month ago and now they begin to hurt a lot faster now!

Anyone wanting to improve viewing detail the 7 inch tablets are a very good solution. I use the 2013 version Nexus 7. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the 2012 & 2013 version Nexus. If image detail is as good on the 2012 as the 2013's, then the 2012's would be awesome due to the cost difference between the two.

Well I thought I'd share my recent solution for mounting and viewing my Nexus 7 to my P2V controller.
I utilized the existing GoPro mount on the controller. I added four components and its completely adjustable and easily removal. I have yet to test drive it, but I'm optimistic.

dsc01495a.jpg

dsc01496a.jpg

dsc01498a.jpg

dsc01499a1.jpg

Reference the numbers shown above:

#1 is a dual GoPro Mount from Killershot. $22.27
#2 is RAM MOUNTS RAP-B-202U-GOP1 1" Diameter Ball with Custom GoPro Hero Adapter from GPScheap. $6.22
#3 is the the RAP-B-200-2U from Amazon. $21.34
#4 is the RAM-HOL-UN8BU which I bought from eBAY. $25.95

Total $75.78

A little pricey I guess, however, the RAM system is very flexible and I may utilize the holder and attachments for other locations and tablets. :cool:

YMMV

I did wonder whether a ram mount could be used attached to the existing ball (by just removing the existing phone holder). Seeing what you have done I assume that the existing ball is the wrong size and couldn`t be used.

Encantador said:
I did wonder whether a ram mount could be used attached to the existing ball (by just removing the existing phone holder). Seeing what you have done I assume that the existing ball is the wrong size and couldn`t be used.

They do make one size smaller ball. However, I don't think it would allow the tablet holder attachment. :?:

Brew said:
Encantador said:

They do make one size smaller ball. However, I don't think it would allow the tablet holder attachment. :?:

I found these RAM mount components that fit the 3/4" ball on the Vision phone holder arm. I use lots of RAM mounts on my boats for tablets, phones, GPS etc. The standard ball sizes start at "A" which is 1/2" and jump to "B" which is one inch and they get larger from there. The ball on the Phantom Vision phone mount arm is 3/4" so the RAM components didn't appear to fit. But...

RAM makes a whole line of "snap link" components that are all based on a 3/4" diameter ball size. They can also be used to attach to even a full-size tablet in a couple of ways.

First, the snap link components include a suction cup with twist-lock which could grip the back of a tablet of any size. http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

And/or, there is a female snap-link connector with a standard diamond-shaped base, which can be bolted to any other standard diamond-shaped base, such as one of the 1" ball sized tablet holders.

This is a link to all the "snap link" components on the RAM page. http://www.rammount.com/SearchResults/t ... fault.aspx

UrbanLegend777 said:
Brew said:
Encantador said:

I found these RAM mount components that fit the 3/4" ball on the Vision phone holder arm. I use lots of RAM mounts on my boats for tablets, phones, GPS etc. The standards ball sizes start at "A" which is 1/2" and jump to "B" which is one inch and they get larger from there. The ball on the Phantom Vision phone mount arm is 3/4" so the RAM components didn't appear to fit. But...

RAM makes a whole line of "snap link" components that are all based on a 3/4" diameter ball size. They can also be used to attach to even a full-size tablet in a couple of ways.

First, the snap link components include a suction cup with twist-lock which could grip the back of a tablet of any size. http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

And/or, there is a female snap-link connector with a standard diamond-shaped base, which can be bolted to any other standard diamond-shaped base, such as one of the 1" ball sized tablet holders.

This is a link to all the "snap link" components on the RAM page. http://www.rammount.com/SearchResults/t ... fault.aspx

Thanks, Very useful.

I had a Möbius action can swivel suction ballmount. The ball is smaller than the dji ball socket.
To make it the right size I used heatshrink tubing on the mobius ball. Works great ! Möbius mount I had laying around. it cost like six bucks and is adjustable. And it fiits in the dhi ball socket !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic