Tablet choices - good screen

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the replies and info

Disappointing to see the topic degrade. This is a phantom group, not an android v ios group. I was after honest oppinions from those that have used several tablets, and know the pros and cons of the different tabs.

I am a Samsung guy, but the tablet I want will be dedicated to the phantom, so don't care what system it uses, as long as works and can see it.

I agree - I'm an Apple guy but I'm just looking for a cheap tablet to dedicate just to the phantom so i don't care what platform it's on, just want it to work and be able to see it (best that can be expected in sunlight). Problem is, nothing from Apple is cheap. I have a mini IPad but its the 1st gen so I'm hesitant to try it from everything I've read. I'm currently using my IPhone 6 which works great but a 2 battery flight is destroying my battery (100% down to 35%).

A friend of mine uses a Galaxy Tab S and he certainly appears to have a bit more lag and stuttering than I get on my iPad, but its still perfectly acceptable. The screen was a little brighter on the Samsung too, but I do have a antiglare screen and he doesn't and yes, both were pretty much useless in direct sunlight. I've found with a sunshade, that holding the screen upto eye level, and keeping the screen vertical whilst making sure the antennas are pointing at the AC really does help (but at the expense of aching arms of course!).

Reactions: Moby58
Does the Tab S have GPS? Also, if you're using a tablet with no internet connection what happens with the map screen?

Almost all Android tablets have GPS, an doesnt matter if cellular or WiFi only

I just wanted to add that bashing either platform is a total waste of time. Obviously, both platforms work. Period. I am grateful we have choices. Can you imagine if there were only 1 choice? That would be horrible. I come here to learn and I dont like wasting time reading the BS. I'm sure there are plenty of other sites to bash the platforms. I wish the haters would go there to hate so this forum stays educational.

I agree - I'm an Apple guy but I'm just looking for a cheap tablet to dedicate just to the phantom so i don't care what platform it's on, just want it to work and be able to see it (best that can be expected in sunlight). Problem is, nothing from Apple is cheap. I have a mini IPad but its the 1st gen so I'm hesitant to try it from everything I've read. I'm currently using my IPhone 6 which works great but a 2 battery flight is destroying my battery (100% down to 35%).

If you already have the mini ipad why would you not try it? I just bought one{1st generation mini}I bought it off ebay,it was advertised as an ipad mini 2 so I bought it.I did a small test with it and it worked fine with no lag,then I figured out by model number it was a 1 and not a 2,ebay seller said he was sorry and i could return it or keep it for 75 bucks{1/2 price}so I kept it.I've used it 3 times so far in 95 degree texas heat with runs from 15-20 minutes with no problems so far

If you already have the mini ipad why would you not try it? I just bought one{1st generation mini}I bought it off ebay,it was advertised as an ipad mini 2 so I bought it.I did a small test with it and it worked fine with no lag,then I figured out by model number it was a 1 and not a 2,ebay seller said he was sorry and i could return it or keep it for 75 bucks{1/2 price}so I kept it.I've used it 3 times so far in 95 degree texas heat with runs from 15-20 minutes with no problems so far

Actually I tried it today. App starts up but would not connect to aircraft. Tried restarting everything a couple of times but still nothing. The strange part is that I've connected it a few times in the house and it worked. The only thing I could think of that was different today was I just updated the app.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

no comparison between apple and android when it comes to options. One is designed very easy, for elderly people and children, the other is designed for people that have general knowledge of PC's.
Itunes alone make it a terrible choice.

wow. just, wow

I find it humorous that you feel the need to insult others on their tech choices rather than discussing the merits without insults. But since that seems to be your modus operandi, I will end with a comment you should understand. I guess there are a lot of children on this board.

He can't help it.

Reactions: impilot51
<snip> you have to have the data part on your iPad to have gps on it </snip>
Your information is incorrect. There are 2 flavors that iPads come in... wifi only or cellular. The wifi model has no GPS but does use tower triangulation for location, the cellular version has GPS built in, you do not need a service/data connection to use it.

The iPad Mini 1 will not work correctly with the Go app. DJI list compatible devices -

Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

While DJI does seem to lean towards the Apple devices, it all comes down to personal preferences. There is no "hands down" winner. Use what you like.

Lets change the tone of this thread with helpful post from here on out. Thats why were all here right? (READ:Official Warning;))

390276_308779182492407_209746172395709_752122_1143933520_n1.jpg

Another +1 on the Samsung TAB S2 9.7". I purchased the cell radio model through Verizon.
I've applied a anti-glare screen protector and, with the hood, it's the best option I've tried for sunny days. Samsung's screen brightness is hard to beat for this application. It also has the most muscle under the hood as far as hardware goes so it was worth the buy. I have not experienced a single hardware hiccup in 6 months running the Go app or Litchi.
I'm not a Sammie fanboy, just a believer in expensive tech that works as intended. As a side note, my Note 5 also runs the app just fine with no issues (no pun intended) :p

Attachments

• P3A_Remote_Arm_Upgrade-03.jpg
    P3A_Remote_Arm_Upgrade-03.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: monkeychops
Your information is incorrect. There are 2 flavors that iPads come in... wifi only or cellular. The wifi model has no GPS but does use tower triangulation for location, the cellular version has GPS built in, you do not need a service/data connection to use it.

The iPad Mini 1 will not work correctly with the Go app. DJI list compatible devices -

Recommended Devices
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

While DJI does seem to lean towards the Apple devices, it all comes down to personal preferences. There is no "hands down" winner. Use what you like.

That is not true
Did you not read my post? I am currently using Ipad mini 1 and its working fine,now it may not tomorrow but as of right now it is.I used it when doing this a week ago
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tried again today. Got it to connect but it was terrible for me. The map refreshed in slow motion and the picture constantly flashed black and really bad lag. Oh well it was worth a try. I'll stick with my phone for now.

Hi guys,

A lot of problems you may get with your pads can sometimes be other processes running in the background.

This is why I (and a lot of others) dedicate a tablet to the Phantom, and only install the apps necessary for the job.

Not sure about Apple stuff, but on Android you can also disable unneeded background tasks.

The less other stuff your tablet does, the more computing power it can dedicate to the Phantom apps

Tried again today. Got it to connect but it was terrible for me. The map refreshed in slow motion and the picture constantly flashed black and really bad lag. Oh well it was worth a try. I'll stick with my phone for now.

Yeah I dont know why that is.There are quite a few examples of 1 tablet working for someone but it doesnt work for someone else.
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Hi guys,

A lot of problems you may get with your pads can sometimes be other processes running in the background.

This is why I (and a lot of others) dedicate a tablet to the Phantom, and only install the apps necessary for the job.

Not sure about Apple stuff, but on Android you can also disable unneeded background tasks.

The less other stuff your tablet does, the more computing power it can dedicate to the Phantom apps

Yep.The only app installed on my ipad besides the ones that came pre installed is the DJI app.

That is not true
Did you not read my post? I am currently using Ipad mini 1 and its working fine,now it may not tomorrow but as of right now it is.I used it when doing this a week ago
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yes, I read your post. It may work, but it is not supported. Obviously it didn't meet their criteria or they would of included it in the list. Most people can't get to work at all. You sure it's an iPad 1?

Yes, I read your post. It may work, but it is not supported. Obviously it didn't meet their criteria or they would of included it in the list. Most people can't get to work at all. You sure it's an iPad 1?
The DJI list of recommended (not supported) tabs & phones is just a guide and some will not even work in all cases. For example I purchased a Nexus 7 2nd gen tab because it has a nice bright display and it worked great with my P3A. But I decided to upgrade to a P3P and - ouch - the video stream was choppy and torn whenever the bird moved at more than a snails pace. The Nexus is not up to the additional streaming bandwidth from the P3P. I ended up selling it and getting a Galaxy Tab S2 which works very smoothly.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic