T-motor trouble again

Reaction score
So, after I had my first DJI motor bearring starting to make the dreaded bearing noise, and I found it hard to change bearings, I thought, lets upgrade to T-motors, they are supposed to be better, provide better thrust etc.

Now, reading some reports it is questionable if they are really that better in providing extra flight time etc, anyways.

So, got my set of 4 T-motors and flying I went. After a few flights one of the motors got a little tick sound. Not the typical bearing sound. I thought there must be something in it, or so.

Opened it up, but never was able to put it back together again.

So, must be coincidence, lets buy another set of 4.

Changed the motor, but after just another few flights, the dreaded bearing sound. Ah, still have a ccw motor left, lets change...

Guess what.

A few flights later the motor I changed; the dreaded bearing sound.

No more ccw's left. (i hope a friend here will be able to changes shafts with one of the 2 cw's I still have left)

Is it normal to have so much motor trouble?

(yes, I used prop guards a few times, and no i did not mix up screws)

I will not buy another set of T-motors, with the rate I am consuming motors, it's cheaper to use the DJI's, and maybe I once develop enough bearing change skills.

:(

Ah, managed to change shaft myself! With this skill I still have lots if opportunities to combine shafts and bearings until I run out completely.

Anyways, still the question why do bearings give up so easily (on me)....

Ah, guess what, after 2 flights with good bearings, another fricking t motor has the bad bearing sound. It's a cw this time..

How the frick is this possible?

This is not normal or is it?

Ok, skyped T-Motors, explained the situation:

[18:18:57] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: sorry to hear that
[18:19:18] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: where do you get these motors from ?
[18:19:59] ME-Ton4: First ones I got through Amazon, second set I bought in Jakarta, Indonesia www.e-hely.com
[18:20:34] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: ok,thank you !
[18:22:13] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: so the big problem is that everythime,the bearing get easily bad ,if you can replace the bearing ,that will be good and convinient to you
[18:23:31] ME-Ton4: What would be good for me, is that I can do a lot of flights without problems, not open up the Phantom every few flights and repair a T-Motor
[18:25:26] ME-Ton4: How many 9 minute flights can I expect from a T Motor?
[18:25:41] ME-Ton4: Now the average is about 5
[18:25:47] ME-Ton4: Is this normal?
[18:27:16] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: I will check the flight time for you ,so please tell me the following : take-off weight
[18:27:25] ME-Ton4: 1220 grams
[18:29:37] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: sorry that I am at home,without the datas in hand ,I can calculate for you tomorrow,
[18:30:01] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: 5 minutes is abnormal !
[18:30:17] ME-Ton4: Not 5 minutes, 5*9 minutes
[18:30:32] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: and I will forward your questions to the technician team also
[18:30:48] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: the prop is from T-motor or not ?
[18:31:08] ME-Ton4: No DJI Vision prop 9443
[18:31:41] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: ok,well note ! will feedback you tomorrow
[18:31:45] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: see ya
[18:32:04] ME-Ton4: ok, please email [removed], I am not much on Skype
[18:32:09] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: or any questions,you can email me [removed]
[18:32:22] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: ol
[18:32:24] Lisa-sales T-motor ye: ok
[18:32:35] ME-Ton4: ok, hope to hear from you, thanks

To be continued...

Ok, exchanged more emails, send a video of my motors.

Lisa said she had more customers complaining and will try to increase the quality.

Now it's waiting how things will be handled by t motors.

Ok, install my last good motor now.

Ton4 said:
Ok, exchanged more emails, send a video of my motors.

Lisa said she had more customers complaining and will try to increase the quality.

Now it's waiting how things will be handled by t motors.

Ok, install my last good motor now.

Very bad, such an expensive motor and they dont make it any better than DJI one, i was thinking about upgrade, now i will not.

Could be that I am motor jinxed, but :)

The bearings on these thing give up after just a few flights, at least in my case.

Ok, quick flight before dark, already afraid to spin them aftwards...

I always check my motors prior to flight and if needed put a drop of oil on each bearing. They are not sealed bearings, simply shielded and do need lubrication from time to time.

BruceTS said:
I always check my motors prior to flight and if needed put a drop of oil on each bearing. The are not sealed bearings, simply shielded and do need lubrication from time to time.

Are you sure? I always hear that both DJI and T-Motor are sealed bearings.

Well, the quick flight went well, bearings survived this flight.

I did notice one of the motors was hotter as the others, and it made a ticking sound when spun by hand at first after cool down , but disappeared after a few rotations.

My guess is that this motor will be next to go, soon.

It may be as Bruce suggested, that lubrication is needed, but frick, do I need to take my Phantom and motors apart everytime?

If lubrication is needed, they should come out of the factory with enough lubricant, as it seems now they may not.

With the number of flights I get from a motor now before it starts sounding bad, they are just unusable, too expensive, and if Bruce is right, too labor intensive.

I bought a set and was not impressed. Continued to tell myself they were better. I went back to stock a couple weeks ago. T-Motors are in the drawer.

there's another thread about drilling a hole between the 4 screws underneath the housing to gain access without taking things apart. Use a needle oiler and simply put a very small drop of oil, top and bottom bearings.

Just got back from driving around town for some suitable oil. Closest I got was oil for sewing machines, but shop was already closed.

I guess I can get an medical injection needle thingie from the pharmacy here.

"you're not an addict are you? Ehhh, no, not with that, but, uuhh"

Oh, t motors promised to send me some bearings, advised me to use oil and not to fly in dusty or sandy environments.

Well, a lot of my flying will be on or near beaches, and my part of the world is not exactly known for it's clean air.

If I go biking for a few hours and I wipe my forehead with a tissue, its not a pretty sight.

If your flying environment is that contaminated with sand and other particulants, I can tell you absolutely without question that is why your bearings are destroying themselves so quickly.

Think about this for a second; what happens when you're flying? you're either pushing that contaminated air down through the motor, or drawing it up through the motor. Either way, your bearings will look about the same as your face does after a bike ride. They are very small, high speed bearings; that level of contamination simply can't be tolerated by them. adding oil is only going to accelerate the problem.

Contact a reputable hobby store, or ideally a motor manufacturer, tell them what you need power wise, and that you MUST have something at the very least with sealed bearings...ideally sealed bearings and can. Until you can find either motors you need with sealed bearings, stop flying...unless you have deep enough pockets to keep replacing motors every few flights..

I have DJI motors on one Phantom, T-Motors on another. Both have in excess of 25 HOURS of flight time. I also have a DJI f550 with at least 15 hours of flight time on stock motors...all are in perfect condition. You should not be having this much trouble

I will ask around a bit with the other folks flying rc aircraft in this area, see how they do, bearing wise spoken.

It never came up in conversations before, also not at the local hobby shop here when I complained about the problem.

A lot of the old timers over on RCgroups recommend NOT to lubricate the bearings. It can eventually cause the plastic motor mount area to crack. And just as a matter of info, I have two V1.1.1 Phantoms with a combined flight total of approx. 150 flights. Stock motors and no lubrication and all spin up by hand as quietly as day one.

I quote this from my email exchange with t motors :

1.fly the motors in the enviroment which without too many sand and and dust ;
2.maintain the motors with oil  every some flights .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl