T-Motor installation using insulated connectors

Reaction score
Recently I purchased a set of T-Motors for my Phantom 1.2. I use a heavy gimbal and wanted better flight performance in addition to longer flight times. The T-Motors would deliver on both. The one thing I dreaded was trying to solder the the motor leads to the circuit boards where the motor connectors are located. It's a small space and one slip of the soldering iron would mean getting a new circuit board.

I decided to wire the motors in using fully insulated, crimp on, wire connectors sold by Radio Shack. The advantages of using these quick disconnect power connectors is that no soldering was required and that motors can be easily removed for servicing. If you are interested in using wire connectors for your motors, here's a description of how I did it:

1. Wire connectors are 1/4 inch for 16-14 gauge wire. I got three packs of five male and female connectors through Radio Shack for about $10. The connectors are fully insulated and the part number through Radio Shack is 6403133.

2. The connectors are fairly long to fit the space provided in the arms of the Phantom, so I trimmed off the excess insulation on the connectors where the wire enters the connector.

3. First, I cut the wires from the original motors leaving about 1 1/2 inches of wire remaining attached to the original solder points for the motors. After stripping the ends of the three wires leading from the solder points, I crimped on three female connectors.

4. Next, I plugged the male connectors into the three female connectors. After this, I measured the amount of wire needed to be trimmed from the T-Motors to easily reach the male connectors, made my cuts, stripped the ends, and crimped the wires into the male connectors.

5. Since the T-Motors don't use colored wires, special attention to the instructions needs to be made when installing these motors.

Cool. Care to share photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are a few photos of the project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 538
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 493
Photos of T-Motor upgrade continued.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 534
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 539
Last series of photos on installation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 491
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 549
Shortly after installing the engines and test flying the Phantom, a friend called me over to shoot a video of registration long registration lines for a 5k running event being held the next day. The Phantom with the T-Motors and 9" props had plenty of lift for the heavy gimbal. The gimbal was about $100, works great, but is heavy. Instead of getting a lighter and more expensive gimbal, I bought the T-Motors with the savings. Here's the video shot on a breezy day. http://youtu.be/tvY9tDsXOEg

Now I have a stable horizon on my videos, longer flight time, and better performance.

Decided to change connectors to bullet type. They have lower resistance, giving longer battery life resulting in longer fight times. Looks good on paper anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20