Swivel joint on new CNC/Alloy tablet holder

Reaction score
I have to ask if anyone of you who have replaced the original plastic RC tablet holder with the upgrade CNC or allow model, experienced not being able to tighten the swivel joint that allows the tablet to moved back and forth? I have tightened it so tight to keep it in position that I'm afraid I'm going to damage it. Any resolves for this issue or am I not doing something right?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
df7b8782d8a39dd97e3b1790a8095d67.jpg
6169d3172968337156d826cfd7431f25.jpg

It would have been great if they would have incorporated a wing nut.

check and see if the clear washers are still in place and not flattened.. you may need to replace them...they are soft and used for the compression that keeps the hinge from swinging...

Yes I did use the washers, they are in place. I felt from the beginning that it might be an issue keeping that joint tight with the continuous installing and removal of the tablet on a regular basis. I would love to be to tighten it when necessary without having a screwdriver around. That's why I mentioned that the wing nut would have been a convenient option.

gotcha. to be fair I use my phone more than my iPad Air so I deal with less weight than you do. but I've only needed to tighten it down once after my initial install. wing nuts are a pretty good idea though. maybe we need to bring the mount to the hardware store and do some test fittings. [emoji16]

Have the same one as NRJ, which doesn't use washers and seems to maintain position more firmly than the stock one (I may have tightened more). Haven't had problems with it backing off so far, but will go to thread locker if I do.

The wing nut (actually I think you'll need a thumbscrew) may be a bit of a trick since most of the screw you're looking to replace is non-threaded axle around which the clamp pivots. Using a fully threaded screw will open a bit of slop. Since you guys have washers in there, how about replacing one or 2 with something grippier, like rubber?

What would be nice is, a tiny version of the quick=release hub thingy on bicycles. Then you could position the bracket, flip the lever, and it's locked in.

like this
images

but waaaaay smaller.

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
Boom.

I just took mine apart; the screw is M4, about 15mm long. The smooth shaft is 4mm diameter so a fully threaded screw will work fine after all. You would have to either replace the nut (which does slip right out and is standard hex under the round external cap) or cut/grind the extra 5mm length off the above.

I was hoping these guys would work for you, since they're awesome in camera rigs (and small/light) but the camera system is pretty universally M5...so no workey unless you want to do some drilling

(EDIT: fixed my link)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.