Switching to GPS mode for use with the DJI iPhone App

Reaction score
Hi there
So I'm new to this sight as I've only recently received my Phantom 2 Vision.

I've been using the iPhone application to watch the camera etc. and then I wanted to draw a flight plan and have the drone do an automated flight according to my waypoints.
After drawing all the waypoints and setting their heights, when I press go the phone says "Switch GPS mode on (ready to fly mode). Now im not sure what this means. I thought I was always in GPS mode after calibrating the GPS on the drone and leaving the S1 switch on the controller up.

So for the life of me I cannot figure out what my app is asking me to do. Ive downloaded the DJI Assistant on my mac and plugged the Phantom in and updated all of the firmware. Everything seems up to date as far as I'm aware.

I've heard various things about Naza-M mode and ATTI Mode but Im not sure how to use these or if I need these to have the Phantom fly an automated flight through my waypoints.

Thank you all for your help!

Jc

Is the switch on the right side of your controller all the way up,this is GPS on.

Your phantom should if set to phantom mode , show flashing green lights at the rear, if they flash yellow then you are in ATTI mode.

crash1sttime said:
Is the switch on the right side of your controller all the way up,this is GPS on.

Your phantom should if set to phantom mode , show flashing green lights at the rear, if they flash yellow then you are in ATTI mode.

Yes this is all fine. I can fly the Phantom perfectly fine and my iPhone shows the camera view through the DJI app. This is all fine. The problem is on the DJI application itself. When in camera viewing mode and I swipe over to ground station mode to draw waypoints.

I am able to draw way points and everything, however in the top right corner of my phone screen is says "Mode: N/A". I believe this should be saying GPS in order for my Phantom to follow my set waypoints.

maybe take a screenshot of your iphone (tap home button + power quickly) - perhaps someone can see something that might help?

Buckaye said:
maybe take a screenshot of your iphone (tap home button + power quickly) - perhaps someone can see something that might help?

I wanted to do that but how to I upload a photo to a reply? I see something that says 'img' but clicking that just adds text to this box.

You have to upload the picture to a web hosting company such as photobucket etc then click image in your post and put the full address if the image

I use my own website so my link would be
Hxxp://flymyphantom.webspace.virginmedi ... pics/1.jpg (change hxxp to http, I did that so it won't show a true link in this post

Mode N/A means it doesn't have a GPS lock, this wont stop you flying, try uninstalling the app then reboot the phone and reinstall it

crash1sttime said:
You have to upload the picture to a web hosting company such as photobucket etc then click image in your post and put the full address if the image

I use my own website so my link would be
Hxxp://flymyphantom.webspace.virginmedi ... pics/1.jpg (change hxxp to http, I did that so it won't show a true link in this post

Mode N/A means it doesn't have a GPS lock, this wont stop you flying, try uninstalling the app then reboot the phone and reinstall it

Hi there
Here is a screenshot of my phone in ground station view.
This is when I am not connected to my phantom. The app can determine my location and also the location of my phantom. It also allows me to set waypoints and manipulate them. However, when I press go, it says "switch on GPS mode (ready to fly mode".

jenningscouch said:
This is when I am not connected to my phantom. The app can determine my location and also the location of my phantom. It also allows me to set waypoints and manipulate them.

Most here are familiar with what the app does ;) I think a screenshot of your phone when the Phantom IS on is what Buckaye was asking for. You'd obviously need to do that outside so we could see how many satellites you're locked on to etc.

wattage said:
jenningscouch said:
This is when I am not connected to my phantom. The app can determine my location and also the location of my phantom. It also allows me to set waypoints and manipulate them.

Most here are familiar with what the app does ;) I think a screenshot of your phone when the Phantom IS on is what Buckaye was asking for. You'd obviously need to do that outside so we could see how many satellites you're locked on to etc.

Okay I'll take another when I get home. Usually I'm connected to between 8 and 11 satellites so I don't think that'd be the problem.
I'm gonna try loading the maps and creating waypoints before connecting to the phantom and see if that does anything.
Thank you

Hi all,
So this it what it looks like when im connected to my phantom, all ready to go. Notice the top left corner says "Mode: N/A". I've tried many things including, deleting the app and redownlaoding, making sure everything is up to date, letting the maps loads before connecting to the phantom etc.

When I've drawn a flight plan with waypoints and I click go, i get this message. The thing is, I have no idea how to turn on GPS (ready to fly mode)!!

Please help :?

I'm having the same problem. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, re-updated firmware on everything including the camera and I'm in the same boat.. I can create the flight plan but when I click GO it gives the same message. Today however I found that it didn't work but I still had my flight plan in but was pissed when it didn't work so just swiped the flight plan closed and while I took off flying normally my craft started taking off on me and I freaked out thinking I was going to be witnessing another fly away.. but switching the GPS controls off and on I regained control.. trying to re-create in hopes that it might start the flight plan again.. no luck.. so I'm really at a loss here!

This is why I don't like doing updates until I have to. Even if the update isn't the cause, it muddies the troubleshooting.

ercadm said:
I'm having the same problem. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, re-updated firmware on everything including the camera and I'm in the same boat.. I can create the flight plan but when I click GO it gives the same message. Today however I found that it didn't work but I still had my flight plan in but was pissed when it didn't work so just swiped the flight plan closed and while I took off flying normally my craft started taking off on me and I freaked out thinking I was going to be witnessing another fly away.. but switching the GPS controls off and on I regained control.. trying to re-create in hopes that it might start the flight plan again.. no luck.. so I'm really at a loss here!

Im glad I wasn't the only one! Luckily I haven't had a fly away attempt... but I fear that the GPS on the drone isn't functioning properly and may not return to me!
I've sat on the phone with the people at DJI and they say "we haven't heard of this problem before", which wasn't helpful. So im stuck too.

crash1sttime said:
Have you updated the firmware on the camera .

Phantom 2 Vision FC200 Firmware v1.1.9

from here http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision/download

its as if the app isn't getting the GPS signal from the camera system

Hi there
Thanks for your reply. So on the DJI App, it says my Camera is version 1.1.7. How do I upgrade the firmware for the camera? Ive plugged the phantom into my computer via usb and used the PT2 software to upgrade everything else. Please see these two photos:

Use the link , the instructions are on a text document inside the zip file.

Basically. Copy the file to the sd card and turn the phantom on wait until the light stops flashing then repower the phantom

crash1sttime said:
Use the link , the instructions are on a text document inside the zip file.

Basically. Copy the file to the sd card and turn the phantom on wait until the light stops flashing then repower the phantom

Oh sweet jesus it worked! Thank you so much. I've finally completed my first automated flight. What a process, and unclear one at that. But thank you all so much!

RCRookie said:
Is your GPS on your phone ON? .

And thats needed why ?, GPS on a phone is only needed for Dynamic Home Point not for flying via waystation.

Try updating the camera software as i suggested and if you can try another phone.

crash1sttime said:
RCRookie said:
Is your GPS on your phone ON? .

And thats needed why ?, GPS on a phone is only needed for Dynamic Home Point not for flying via waystation.

Try updating the camera software as i suggested and if you can try another phone.

Waystation ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1