Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Swimming with the Fishes :(

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by bpslm, Jul 1, 2014.

1. bpslm

I was flying last weekend at Lake Hartwell in Georgia, and got some great shots. Unfortunately a bird just got dumped by his girlfriend and decided to selfishly take his own life and the life of another (my p2v+)

This is his final resting place. rip.

Attached Files:

2. bpslm

These were from earlier in the day, i had a lot more footage from the 2nd half of the day that will never be seen. And i am also sorry for the loss of your phantom.

3. dannytroy

Sorry for the loss of your craft (and the bird). I have had birds chasing my bird and try to steer away and so far they haven't pressed the point and followed. It might be that you are flying a little too close to their nesting area. I had a flight where a lot of bugs were chasing my Phantom. After I landed I saw they had flown into the props and I had a lot of bug blood to clean off my Phantom :eek:

As far as it being in water, there is a chance you can revive it if you find it. Mine saw water three times and came back to life 100% after each, and a good three day drying. I had floatation on mine, so it never did anything other than sit upside down on the surface of the lake, for maybe 2 minutes or so. I think the pressure of going several feet underwater may cause problems. The styro shell I made for mine is working well and only added 3.7 ounces.

4. denofr

If you go after it let me know if you see Luca Brasi.

5. Sasquatch

Sorry as well to hear that you lost your bird and a real bird was killed too. Do you know what kind of bird it was that attacked? I've had small birds flying around my PV2+ and they stay clear or ignore it.

Large birds like ducks, crows, geese, hawks, cranes can be quite aggressive & territorial and would likely attack in defense of their nest or babies. There is a video on Y/T of a guy getting his copter too close to some geese and the male attacked. It was low to the ground and I don't think either 'bird' was injured.

It's probably best to try to stay clear of any birds if at all possible

6. Double-D

Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Was the bird harassing the phantom or was it just bad luck?

A styro shell?
    I'd love to see a photo of that :)

7. bpslm

It was a smaller bird not sure what, but I regularly see hawks and they usually steer clear, this one was erratic, but by the time i noticed it was too late.

8. Dirty Bird

Wow very sorry to hear about the kamikazee loss of your Vision+. I would have been diving for her!

My Phantom has been buzzed by a bird or two. Mainly barn swallows who just buzz by without actually attacking. They are tiny compared to the Phantom. When I was flying at Sideling Hill, I was a bit concerned because a couple of bald eagles were soaring overhead. They are a lot bigger than the Phantom, and they like to eat other birds too! I kept an eye on them but, fortunately, they never bothered with me. Didn't look meaty enough I guess?