swimming inflatables?

Reaction score
Hello guys. I was checking out some videos in which you can see the Phantom crash in the sea. If there is a video it means they were able to get it back (shallow water)... but what if that is not the case?

I was wondering if someone has ever used swimming inflatables? If not, what do you guys think?

I was thinking about this type:

inflatables-image.jpg

which could be attached right behind the camera:

djiphantm2.jpg

and one of those shouldn't be that heavy. You wouldn't need the pair but only one.

Any thoughts?

THX!

Interesting idea. Waiting to hear what others have to say.

npalen said:
Interesting idea. Waiting to hear what others have to say.

You could avoid stuff like this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zp_SMMn4Hg[/youtube]

I think you could use inflatables but without your GoPro. That will definitely get flooded... :?

You could try attaching a bit of insulation panel on the landing pad.
Make it wider than the bird.
Or a an inflatable pillow might work.

imprimatur said:
I was wondering if someone has ever used swimming inflatables? If not, what do you guys think?

You wouldn't need the pair but only one.

Any thoughts?

THX!

Give it a try and let us know how it works out. :?

I have tried all kinds of floatation devices. Anything with enough volume to float the Phantom with camera and gimbal has a lot of wind resistance which makes shooting video very difficult in all but the calmest weather. I am now building a waterproof, floating quad.

Yeah.. I think you're going to get some kind of "kiting" effect with something like that. And going with something that low.. a slight imbalance would just tip the DJI over and the side you DO want over water is under water.

I'm thinking about about getting a used life vest from eBay and cut up the foam to put around the Phantom. At least I know those foams are super buoyant enough to keep the phantom afloat (I know the gimbal wont be saved.. but at least I'm trying to save as much as possible) Then as for the vents.. I'm looking for some kind of "gill-like" material allows the "exhaust" to leave the Phantom and not let water in, kind of like a one way valve. Or just seal up the exhaust in general. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj