Swapping Phantom 2 shell after crash

Reaction score
Hey guys i need your help. I crashed my P2 today and broke the upper shell case and bent the lower shell case. One motor blade now rubs the top shell. I also broke the my zen gimbal bracket. After wiping my tears away, I powered on the P2 an realized that the gimbal motors were still working smoothly so it appears that i don't have to buy a new zenmuse.

my question is, how hard is it to swap the guts from the P2 into a new shell? Are there any pitfalls i need to be concerned with? Does anyone have a video so i can see what i'm getting myself into?

thanks for any assistance!

I've done the P1 shell swap. twice :eek:

but can't imagine the P2 being much different.
but it shouldn't take you more than an hour and a half
you basically just take everything apart, keeping notes of what does where, and re-assemble.

imagine you might spot a few video's on youtube of someone who's documented it, but it's a lot easier than you'd think.

Just be extra sure to screw the top shell on facing the proper direction!

I had a similar incident w my P2. Although I am mechanically challenged I had no problem moving to a new shell. Just be patient and take photos and take your time. The screws on the battery connection underneath the main board and the mini USB connection were the only screws a bit hard to access. Also, I had to drill out a couple if hex nuts holding the motors to the shell. That sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizmo3000 said:
I've done the P1 shell swap. twice :eek:

but can't imagine the P2 being much different.
but it shouldn't take you more than an hour and a half
you basically just take everything apart, keeping notes of what does where, and re-assemble.

imagine you might spot a few video's on youtube of someone who's documented it, but it's a lot easier than you'd think.

Just be extra sure to screw the top shell on facing the proper direction!

Ditto to that- buy the shell from a reputable dealer- be sure it is definitely DJI OEM (probably no fakes out there- they run $50 or so) and they come with all the hardware. Add a compass and cable set as you will probably break the cable if not extra careful- snap some pics of the Naza and how the cables hook up (its super easy- don't sweat it) and while you are in there think about spending way too much money on things like a new radio and Rx combo, maybe upgrade the motors? Run an extra accessory or signal wire for some future mod?

Otherwise, the whole thing takes about 3 hours... more or less depending on your recreational beverage choice is. I have been making all sorts of mods and have taken the whole thing apart a dozen times- she is like a girlfriend now and I know all of her special quirks and issues, and even though she has a new dress and some new shoes, she is still the same girl.

Best of luck. Don't switch the compass and LED cables or it will flash green/red on power up... I did that once.

I've gone through this twice, infact yesterday I had to rebuild my P2 into a new shell.

Get yourself a pair of forceps..... something like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2808...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

They make life a lot easier when removing and more importantly, replacing those little screws and bolts. You'll find replacing the USB socket and battery connector screws a lot easier using those.

I've got 'shell swap' off to a fine art now and it only took an hour from start to finish and that included replacing an ESC and Motor.

Take your time, be methodical and label all the screws as you remove them so you know where they go back!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl