Survey photos with GPS and heading EXIF data

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post on this forum so be gentle! I'm a P4 owner and was wondering if the photos from a P4 can contain heading information? I've got up to speed with the EXIF spec so am familiar with the GPS data but can't seem to find anything on heading (or GPSImgDirection?). The reason for my question is that this could help when distinguishing between identical/similar structures or features during an survey/inspection flight.

It will depend on the app that triggered the shots. In the ones ive flown with pix4d there is a tag called FlightYaw which is the heading in deg from 0

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

It will depend on the app that triggered the shots. In the ones ive flown with pix4d there is a tag called FlightYaw which is the heading in deg from 0

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I guess it would be app dependent. I'm just using the DJI Go app but have brushed with Pix4d - I'll compare and contrast. Thanks again.

Just had a quick look at a Pix4d image and it has a section called XMP, this has several gimbal and flight directional settings.
GimbalRollDegree +0.00
GimbalYawDegree +35.70
GimbalPitchDegree -70
FlightRollDegree -4.9
FlightYawDegree +33.90
FlightPitchDegree +3.80

This should give me all the data I need.

There it is. I also found the GimbalPitchDegree tag to be useful if my composition was off in a shot, I can look at where it was that time and adjust

The gimbal Roll,Pitch,Yaw do not seem to be standard values. How do you convert them to rotation matrix in right-handed system?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj