Survey Line Drawings

Reaction score
Hi Phantom friends,
So I am trying to see about creating a 2D line survey drawing with my phantom 4, is it possible or only to create 3D models?

Well an orthographic view (top down) of a 3D model is effectively a plan view. You could import this into a CAD or GIS package (try Global Mapper) and trace 2D features in plan view. Be warned however that the accuracy is only as good as the onboard GPS, so don't expect better than 3-5 meters...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks nickruss, I will look into this

Thanks nickruss, I will look into this

Please report back how this turns out. I've needed to do this in the past and drew them by hand since it was merely a request to "Get Close".

Hi Phantom friends,
So I am trying to see about creating a 2D line survey drawing with my phantom 4, is it possible or only to create 3D models?

Hi Nicrophone, How It was? I need to survey a road (about 260f width) and I was thinking about the best app to do that (I just need to fly in a line taking pictures each 2s). Can you help sharing your experinece or any other info about it?

Hi Nicrophone, How It was? I need to survey a road (about 260f width) and I was thinking about the best app to do that (I just need to fly in a line taking pictures each 2s). Can you help sharing your experinece or any other info about it?
Rtome for just capturing an orthomosaic I used drone deploy app to automate the flight it works really well and there web app for processing is good too.

For BigAl and nickruss I have yet to have success with generating the contour lines based off my orthomosaic, I am going to try autodesk civil 3D next

Reactions: BigAl07
Rtome for just capturing an orthomosaic I used drone deploy app to automate the flight it works really well and there web app for processing is good too.
Thank you for helping. I tried with DDeploy but I think It works only with grids and no lines. I am trying to fly only one way taking pictures each 2s, 70% forward overlap and 0% side overlap.

For either orthos or 3D, I think that you would do better with more than one flight path. The software needs images from different locations to properly triangulate the horizontal and vertical positions of key points in the images. For example, if you were mapping a winding road, pipeline, etc. you would probably want to fly offset of the centerline, on each side, to produce a good side overlap(70% or more) of the project site. It is much like resectioning a position with conventional ground survey equipment. The stronger your angles of your measurements, the higher the accuracy of the point you are computing. The number of flight lines you need depends on the width of your corridor and flight altitude. I have found that three or four, properly offset lines works well.

Reactions: Rtome and BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj