Sure this has been asked before. Alaska cruise on Princess

Reaction score
Wife want's to go on an Alaskan cruise in June with some extended family.

From what I can figure out on google Princess does not allow you to take a drone on board at all and if found they just hand it back at the end of the cruise.

Anyone got away with taking a phantom on a cruise ship for the day stops?

Maybe it's time to get a mavic for this vacation ;)

Why would a mavic be any different?
And flying around crowds?
Hey, they took my stash of beer last time.:(

Why would a mavic be any different?
And flying around crowds?
It's smaller and easier to hide in luggage. I only want to fly it on the day trips from land, not from the actual ship.

I'm not trying to sneak on booze, I'll pay for that, the wife wants a 5 grand balcony room so a few beers is chump change. I just want to take pics from my bird during day stops legally in the good old US of A is all!!

I know it's against their cooperate rules, I am asking if anyone has done it and got away with it.

Last edited:
Wife want's to go on an Alaskan cruise in June with some extended family.

From what I can figure out on google Princess does not allow you to take a drone on board at all and if found they just hand it back at the end of the cruise.

Anyone got away with taking a phantom on a cruise ship for the day stops?

Maybe it's time to get a mavic for this vacation ;)
Take a look at this thread: Taking phantom on cruise ship

I heard the Alaska cruise is amazing
I can see why you would want to bring a drone
I took an Alaska cruise in 2014 (land-sea) cruise with Holland America (WONDERFUL, can't say enough good things about it). First thing: not all of it was in Alaska (some was in Canada), and we were so incredibly busy on the land part (honestly we did about 15 things in one day, including a long train ride) and I wanted to take star pictures at night...and was just bushed. One guy said, "If I could put myself in a box, and mail myself home, I would, I am that tired" (everybody just cracked up). The days are LONG, and the sun doesn't set till late. For example, our bus ride in Denali National Park was 8 solid hours. You only get off the bus where they say you can. Looking back on our trip (14 day), there was honestly NO TIME to fly, even a short flight.

JCP10
I took an Alaska cruise in 2014 (land-sea) cruise with Holland America (WONDERFUL, can't say enough good things about it). First thing: not all of it was in Alaska (some was in Canada), and we were so incredibly busy on the land part (honestly we did about 15 things in one day, including a long train ride) and I wanted to take star pictures at night...and was just bushed. One guy said, "If I could put myself in a box, and mail myself home, I would, I am that tired" (everybody just cracked up). The days are LONG, and the sun doesn't set till late. For example, our bus ride in Denali National Park was 8 solid hours. You only get off the bus where they say you can. Looking back on our trip (14 day), there was honestly NO TIME to fly, even a short flight.
Good point, never thought of that.

This trip only came up yesterday when my wife and her sister got talking and got pricing. They run the extended family.. 24 hours later there are 8 of us going so far apparently. It's know it's bad that my first thought was holy ****, can I take the drone there.

This our route if we book it, only one Canada stop at the end and 3 in the USA.

seattle-map-new.jpg

Having been to all those locations on two cruises I would say it would be almost impossible to fly your drone at any of the locations. There are normally several cruise ships in port together which means anything up to eight thousand people wandering about in relatively small space with little opportunity to find a suitable launch site. If you are lucky please post the vids as it is beautiful there.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

JCP10

Good point, never thought of that.

This trip only came up yesterday when my wife and her sister got talking and got pricing. They run the extended family.. 24 hours later there are 8 of us going so far apparently. It's know it's bad that my first thought was holy ****, can I take the drone there.

This our route if we book it, only one Canada stop at the end and 3 in the USA.

View attachment 75244
Ok, been to most of those places: Skagway, for example, will have anywhere from 3 to 12 cruise ships parked there when you get there. (the cruise ships have VERY precise entry and exit times--they all follow each other around the ports). It's a dock and a PORT, so that's a government office right on the dock . Next, there is a huge glacier there (600 feet up the side of a mountain). Glacier Bay NP--you will pick up a Park Ranger for a guided tour. The whole ship's clientele will be out on the decks looking at the glaciers listening to the ranger--you won't be flying there for sure. And it's COLD, and probably very foggy. Not only that: but the field of view on (say the p4) is great, but you will miss details, such as wildlife.

Do this instead: Rent or buy a camera with a good zoom (not talking about a DSLRhere), more like what's called a bridge camera. (I took a Sony HX 400 with a 50x zoom). You'll need this because Alaska has such HUGE distances to see things. If you only take a cell phone or ipad camera, you will miss so much of the beauty.

Or do this: book a helicopter (or plane) ride. We did this on the Denali trip-- WORTH EVERY PENNY. In the area you are going, some of the them actually land ON THE GLACIERS. The next day we took the long schoolbus parks tour.

Send me a (personal message), and I'll give you some pics of what to see. Our cruise didn't go to Juneau or Victoria, but started in Anchorage and ended in Vancouver. (skagway, ketchican, glacier bay, vancouver).

Like everyone else has said I don't think you'll have the opportunity to fly especially if you're on a shore excursion.
We just got back from mexico and fortunately I could fly off the boat but other than that the places to fly were limited.
Reading about the cruise almost makes me want to do another one but I think we're cruised out for the reasons listed. Limited time at ports (yes they will leave without you), ships following others so I would bet the crowds would make it less enjoyable.
It's not as cheap of a date as everyone thinks by the time you fly or drive and park and tips and shore excursions.

OK thanks for all the advice. I'll just take my DSLR equipment.
In Skagway, check out the Eagle Float adventure in Haines (Ferry ride away--fun and many eagles!). Or if they offer it, the White Pass train--beyond words pretty scenery through the mountains from Skagway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie