Super sunshade: finally can see my phone!!

Reaction score
I posted this in the P3 forum already but thought it was worthy of being placed here.
Other than the flight pre check which can be done in my car, I have never been able to see my phone screen while flying due to glare.
I've purchased and made a number of sunshades to no avail. I have a theory that the reason we have difficulty viewing our devices outside has to do with the mechanics of our eyes. In low light our pupils dilate in order to see an object while in bright lite they contract. When we go out to fly we are asking the iris of our eyes to do two very competing tasks simultaneously. I think the problem with sunshades is that while they do shade the phone, our eyes remain exposed to the bright daylite. Even with sunglasses ambient light enters peripherally keeping our pupils pinned, unable to properly view a phone's screen.
It occurred to me that we need to properly shade our eyes, as well as the phone, for things to work.
My Solution:
I bought $10 VR goggles then 1) removed the front of it (the flap that covers the phone) and 2) the lenses. What is left is a wonderful sunshade for your eyes. When you wear the goggles you are able to look straight through them to fly your Bird. Keep your phone attached to the RC as you normally do and when you need to focus on the phone just raise it to the goggles or dip your head.
I have been using this for the past couple of weeks and couldn't be happier with the results. A simple fix to a vexing problem. Hurray!

Reactions: OOO and Mad Ox
Very clever solution! Can you please post a picture of it.

Lets see if these images post correctly.

Attachments

• 20170416_203237.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 345
  • 20170416_203259.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 353
  • 20170416_203951.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 331
Lets see if these images post correctly.
It looks a bit funky /dorky. No room for vanity :)
When you pull the front of the VR goggle off leave the gasket in tact as seen in the photo. It's cutout is sized for a phone's screen and will block light from entering when you place the phone against it.
Usually if the phone is within 3 inches of the goggle you see just fine. If the sun is in your face or over your shoulder use the gasket.
When the phone is placed against the gasket the inside of the goggles will be completely black and virtually unaffected by outside light.
The view will be very slightly out of focus when the phone is against the gasket because of the short focal length. The goggles come with lenses installed to correct for this but if left in would obscure the view looking out when the phone is removed. Hence why I remove them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic