Super small wind meter

Reaction score
Just fyi, it's hard to gauge wind speed with any accuracy so after I downed my P2 on a windy day I searched for a wind meter (anemometer) and found this little guy. Works great and it's very small. It's $35.

La Crosse Technology EA-3010U Handheld Travel Anemometer with backlight and included Neck lanyard by La Crosse Technology:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002WZRKE/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_EZgKtb1J8JKM9

Hope this is helpful. As a reminder, the DJI guide says don't fly in winds >13-17 mph.

py2egepa.jpg

Slick little bugger.
I just look out my window and if the tree tops are moving it is usually too windy when I get out of the woods to consider flying.

Happyflyer said:
Slick little bugger.
I just look out my window and if the tree tops are moving it is usually too windy when I get out of the woods to consider flying.

lol

same here.
I'm near the water, so if the trees are moving by the street, then the wind is much stronger by the park which is closer to the water.

Be forewarned, the La Crosse drains batteries when turned off. Remove it or keep the sticker it ships with.

Hmmm.

I have that unit and in the 5+ years I've owned it I have only replaced the battery twice (CR2032 Lithium).

Happyflyer said:
Slick little bugger.

Nice but I have to agree with the obvious. I have wind chimes at home, if I hear them I don't even bother thinking about flying.

jodaddy23 said:
doesn't measure wind up were you fly .

Correct and important point. Aside from sending up a kite, any creative ideas for gauging winds aloft?

Send it up and goto ATTI mode and watch drift?

GPS mode hover and watch horizon tilt on OSD?

They are fun toys.

I use it mostly during tropical storm/Hurricane season.

I knew it was probably to windy yesterday to take mine up but I did anyway. Nothing happened to the quad but it was introduced to some small tree tops. All is well and lesson learned.

damoncooper said:
jodaddy23 said:
doesn't measure wind up were you fly .

Correct and important point. Aside from sending up a kite, any creative ideas for gauging winds aloft?

Send it up and goto ATTI mode and watch drift?

GPS mode hover and watch horizon tilt on OSD?

Send it up and go to ATTI mode and watch it drift.

I agree with the others, if it's windy, I stay home.

N017RW said:
Hmmm.

I have that unit and in the 5+ years I've owned it I have only replaced the battery twice (CR2032 Lithium).

I should have added "In my experience and few others on Amazon, the unit drains batteries when shut off". Thanks for providing a different insight on battery life.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik