Super Moon Tonight! (July 11, 2014)

Reaction score
Tonight there will be a super moon! Supermoons are regular occurrences, happening every 13 months and 18 days, when the moon’s orbit brings it into perigee. The moon in Perigee is around 50,000 km closer than when it is furthest away, or in apogee. They can appear to be as much as 14 percent larger than a regular full moon, and 30 percent brighter! With that said, tonight I will attempt to get a shot of it as soon as it starts to appear over the horizon if possible, and with good timing, a little luck, and the hopes that the camera records the illusion of it appearing larger than normal, I should have a pretty interesting video for you guys fairly soon! Wish me luck. :D

I hope to get some more shots tonight, flew a bit last night. Good time to get some nice views. I shot this last night (still from video, bridge over Mississippi River):

Attachments

• GOPR0169-frame2small.jpg
    GOPR0169-frame2small.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 368
Elfman12 said:
I hope to get some more shots tonight, flew a bit last night. Good time to get some nice views. I shot this last night (still from video, bridge over Mississippi River):

That looks really good! I live so far out in the country you just don't see anything when flying at night except 2-3 street lights and that's it. I'd love to get a nice city shot sometime like that.

Also, just took the phantom out to get a shot of the super moon and it just didn't work out at all. All you could see was a small white spec of light and that was it. Apparently I forgot how cameras function and thought they could catch the illusion of it being larger but nope. So yea, hope you guys still enjoy it tonght if you see it. Wasn't as big as I remember it being but I guess it depends on where you are. Last time it looked creepy how huge it seemed.

Went back tonight and shot from the same area, this time with camera on Hero3+ Black set to shoot 12MP time lapse. Here's one:

More detail, more flex in post, quite a bit better than stills from 2.7K 30fps.

I also shot video again at 2.7K, but messed something up because it was really noisy and unusable. Back to the drawing board...

Attachments

• G0010231-EDIT1small.jpg
    G0010231-EDIT1small.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 399

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj