Sunset filters?

Reaction score
So tonight at the sunset I would like to get the best pics possible and I have the 6 pack of polar pro lens. My question is if you don't use editing software for pics whats the best filter to use for sunsets and sunrises. Should I use a filter at all, perhaps the polarized lense being im capturing over the water, or just stock lens? I have read all the info on here about taking pics at sunset but these questions never seem to come up. Also should I leave it in auto?

I would skip the filters and use the AE 5 frame bracket for all shots in Auto, and play with the right exposure wheel for the base setting to bracket from. Keep in mind that the best shots at sunset are taken after the sun has actually set, which will be later at elevation than at ground level where you are standing. If it looks good on the tablet, it should be even better when bracketed with 5 exposures for each shot. For best results, shoot in JPG+DNG, but you'll need to wait 30 seconds in between shots for processing 5 bracketed images, and you will neeed to post process the DNG's, which you said you didn't want to do. Happy sunset shooting!:cool:

Reactions: jasonb777
So tonight at the sunset I would like to get the best pics possible and I have the 6 pack of polar pro lens. My question is if you don't use editing software for pics whats the best filter to use for sunsets and sunrises. Should I use a filter at all, perhaps the polarized lense being im capturing over the water, or just stock lens? I have read all the info on here about taking pics at sunset but these questions never seem to come up. Also should I leave it in auto?
Except for maybe a pola for the water you don't need any filter. Shoot in DNG and use a decent editing program like Lightroom or Photoshop and you can get al the colors you want. Especially you can set the WhiteBalance in post at your taste.

Don't shoot in auto. On the ground you can already experiment with the right exposure. It al depends on wat you want to do with this sunset. Make pictures with different exposures, bracketing, because photographing the sun is ta tricky business.
Take care with the foreground, very often it tend to be way to dark.
Whit different exposures you can make a HDR in Lightroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonb777
Didn't know it was that hard ! Auto and a little Snapseed app and I'm happy :)
new.jpg Course I just got a Standard and really don't have a clue to what I'm doing ! :eek:
LOL...I know fellows me just messing :D
running jack.gif

Also best to take the white balance setting off 'Auto'.
When using auto the camera will try and auto correct the red/orange/yellow out of your pics (if saved to jpeg). Put the WB to daylight, or even dial in a little more warmth by manually setting WB to 6000 to 7000 Kelvin.

Reactions: RICHARD W GARRETT
Also best to take the white balance setting off 'Auto'.
When using auto the camera will try and auto correct the red/orange/yellow out of your pics (if saved to jpeg). Put the WB to daylight, or even dial in a little more warmth by manually setting WB to 6000 to 7000 Kelvin.
Or, better yet, shoot in DNG and set your WB in post, but the OP didn't want to do any post.:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic