Sunscreen Hood

Reaction score
So i pulled the trigger and ordered this Drone Aviator hood kit (includes HAV2 & HAV2E) - HAV2KIT in Aviator Hoods

What I've been reading about FPV via HDMI on the P3A leaves me to wonder if perhaps I won;t be very satisfied with the picture quality. I would have to spend $100 for the HDMI card, then $400-$500 for FPV goggles.

Most of us are happy with the image beamed to our tablets (Ipad, Android, etc) but universally complain about sun washing out the screen.

Assuming the hoodman doesn't weigh too much, it could be a cost effective compromise, so long as you are far enough away from the tablet screen (I use a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition).

Thoughts?

I'm actually at the International Drone Expo right now and they have an exhibit. It looks really nice. A guy got out his phone and turned on the light, and tried to shine through the shade with no luck. They even have an extension to get the hood out to almost 12 inches from the screen, basically a tunnel. Let me know if you have other questions and I can stop by and ask them.

There are two things that interfere with visibility of a tablet or phone display: sunlight falling directly onto the screen, and reflections from the screen. Any hood can keep direct sunlight off the screen, but reflections are tougher. In particular, you will always see reflections of your face and the sky behind your head to some degree unless your face is fully enveloped by the hood as with goggles. Other than standing in the shade, two things that help are an anti-reflective coating or film on the screen, and having the brightest possible display.

I'm actually at the International Drone Expo right now and they have an exhibit. It looks really nice. A guy got out his phone and turned on the light, and tried to shine through the shade with no luck. They even have an extension to get the hood out to almost 12 inches from the screen, basically a tunnel. Let me know if you have other questions and I can stop by and ask them.
It would be great if they had a larger tablet and drone controller you could handle.

So i pulled the trigger and ordered this Drone Aviator hood kit (includes HAV2 & HAV2E) - HAV2KIT in Aviator Hoods

What I've been reading about FPV via HDMI on the P3A leaves me to wonder if perhaps I won;t be very satisfied with the picture quality. I would have to spend $100 for the HDMI card, then $400-$500 for FPV goggles.

Most of us are happy with the image beamed to our tablets (Ipad, Android, etc) but universally complain about sun washing out the screen.

Assuming the hoodman doesn't weigh too much, it could be a cost effective compromise, so long as you are far enough away from the tablet screen (I use a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition).

Thoughts?
For 99 bucks-- I am waiting for the recommendations-- if it is that good-- I would click and purchase one now. Post up some experiences guys if you have one of these.

Anyone using these Hoodman hoods on their IPad Air2s ?

Really like the look of the extended tunnel (who needs glasses) but to get a pair shipped to me in Spain makes them expensive! (But don't mind if they are worth it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one and it's the best sunscreen by far. Buy it. Use it. You won't regret it. You will also need the Inspire tablet holder bracket.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188ZLULQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It's rock solid and easily handles my 10 inch tablet and hoodman with extension.
Anyone using these Hoodman hoods on their IPad Air2s ?

Really like the look of the extended tunnel (who needs glasses) but to get a pair shipped to me in Spain makes them expensive! (But don't mind if they are worth it!)

Thanks for the info. Appreciated. Will be ordering one tomorrow I think. What harness do you use in conjunction with the hood?

Looking at the Bestem Zero Gravity one. But wondering having the controller so 'fixed' to your waist you will be creeking your neck down to view the screen.

OP says goggles are expensive. Not really. I have Accupix Mybud for $199 and happy with it.

Do they come with a sunshield to block light around the edges?

Also don't you have an Advanced? I assume you are using DJI's HDMI adapter. How is the video?
There is a small sun shield with these goggles but good enough as the screens are very close to eyes. I tried in mid sun and didn't see any issue.

I have P3A and the quality of video on goggles is very smooth, looks like 100" screen without any pixels separation. It uses HDMI boards output.

Issues:

1. Original doc is in Korean language. Though we don't need it but English version may be better

2. One needs a little practice to fit it over another glasses ( I use glasses), though a blank frame is provided which fits in using a magnet. One needs to get prescription glasses if needed to fit in the blank frame.

3. I had little problem in understanding the directional diamonds shown on the screen but I could now figure them out. I could not find out any DJI documentation.

4. One may be required to sit on a chair or rest somewhere while using goggles.

Sorry to go out of the topic.

Thank you I have been eyeballing those for my first foray into goggles. They look pretty cool without being too obtrusive.

There is a small sun shield with these goggles but good enough as the screens are very close to eyes. I tried in mid sun and didn't see any issue.

I have P3A and the quality of video on goggles is very smooth, looks like 100" screen without any pixels separation.

Issues:

1. Original doc is in Korean language. Though we don't need it but English version may be better

2. One needs a little practice to fit it over another glasses ( I use glasses), though a blank frame is provided which fits in using a magnet. One needs to get prescription glasses if needed

3. I had little problem in understanding the directional diamonds shown on the screen but I could now figure them out.

4. One may be required to sit on a chair or rest somewhere while using goggles.

Sorry to go out of the topic.

Thank you I have been eyeballing those for my first foray into goggles. They look pretty cool without being too obtrusive.
They do look very very interesting. I wear prescription glasses. Are you saying they can be worn over then and ambient light still gets blocked?

I have seen some others flying with a towel over there head....seems like a zero cost solution!

Last edited:
They do look very very interesting. I wear prescription glasses. Are you saying they can be worn over then and ambient light still gets blocked?
They can be worn over prescription glasses too but you need to adjust the nose support piece to right position. There are two nose supports, use the right one. Ensure you don't wear dark glasses :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20