Sunhans Amps power supply

Reaction score
I'm using the sunhans gold 3W 2.4GHz amps from an Anker Power bank.

I want to get rid of the bulk of the power bank and wire up to the transmitter internal 2S battery.

The battery is 7.6v and the amp supply is 5-16v, therefore within scope.

However, I am concerned about frying the amps by hooking them up to a battery that could push more amperes into it that it can cope with.

Has anyone successfully run these amps from a Lipo without using an UBEC?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Sunhans will only 'take' what is required. The power output of the lipo is irrelevant as long as it is within the voltage range of your Amplifier (which it is as you stated). Obviously not being able to supply enough current would be crucial too, i think about 2A per Amplifier...

Excellent, thank you.

However that's not me suggesting you do this, i'm uncertain as to the Lipo's max output current, do so at your own risk, obviously.

Understood. It is about 20A Max output so it could easily fry the amp, but what you have said confirms my thoughts.

Will try it tomorrow (with just 1 Amp at first).

Understood. It is about 20A Max output so it could easily fry the amp, but what you have said confirms my thoughts.

Will try it tomorrow (with just 1 Amp at first).

No, the more Amp output the better, it was if the Lipo could not give enough that would be the problem. The Amplifiers will draw what they need, not what the Lipo can provide (as long as the lipo can provide enough that is). If the Lipo can supply 50 Amps, that doesn't mean it is giving the Sunhans 50 Amps - that isn't how it works.

It all works! No more bulky Anker battery bank and a nice slim transmitter setup.

bf990e27d1e3cc363b472ed4d91001e0.jpg

Amps are powered directly from the transmitter through a switch that I fitted on the back. I tried to fit the amps inside the case but there just wasn't room.

It all works! No more bulky Anker battery bank and a nice slim transmitter setup.

Amps are powered directly from the transmitter through a switch that I fitted on the back. I tried to fit the amps inside the case but there just wasn't room.

What a great looking mod! Would you mind sharing some details on the wiring (diagram or Photo)? How has this effected the battery life on the controller?

Looks to be the same as any upgrade with the wires for the rp-sma connector moved. I've wanted to do this for a while but didn't have the sand to drill holes. I make shifted some myself but solder doesn't hold well to steel so I didn't want to move forward without a good connection. I actually did make a pair but they broke off too easily for comfort. Good job anyway man... Beat me to the punch...

You'll have to measure battery life with the amps burning and post results.

Where did you order the long wires? I'm going to try the MIG welder next to tack some I just haven't gotten far down that rabbit hole.

Any more details on this? How's it working? What's battery life like? Performance drastically increased?
Would you be able to share any diagrams/schematics/photos of the internals?

Any more details on this? How's it working? What's battery life like? Performance drastically increased?
Would you be able to share any diagrams/schematics/photos of the internals?

Looks great! Please provide step-by-step and pics of the inside (or as much detail as you're willing to share) so that @KyleMaxxUAV gets it right when he does this to mine!!!

Reactions: longdog and henick
Sorry guys, been away for a few weeks cycling 3,000 miles across America! Back now.... I'll take it apart and post some pics.

I soldered directly to the +'ve and -'ve on the board. I'll have a look and see if I can find a switched power source to prevent me from accidentally draining the battery if I leave the amps on by mistake.

I did leave them on for 2 days by mistake and battery drain was negligible, but I don't want to risk killing the Lipo.

I don't use the sunhans antennas anymore, I prefer the Itelite antenna.

I don't use the sunhans antennas anymore, I prefer the Itelite antenna.

Really? I'd like to hear more about why your prefer itelite over sunhans.

I'm contemplating adding some small online boosters to my itelite.

I just installed the ITELITE last night and have not tested it yet. So we will see if I'm pleased with the results after a few runs. I just have a tendency to mod, mod, and mod.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj