Sunglasses?

Reaction score
Hi was wondering which type of sunglasses you pilots wear for keeping track of the craft whilst also allowing you to view your tablet or phone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wear photo chromatic lenses.

None, just my regular prescription progressive lenses. Same as I use for all my video shooting.

Just flying GA or RC planes as well as driving a car on a sunny day. Prescription Serengeti sunglasses. But never if I need to see a video screen or use any camera.

If we are shooting with a 2 person setup then the pilot wears the sunglasses and the person running the cam uses no sunglasses.

Flying RC gliders, that get very far away and high, I use polarized prescription glasses in photo brown tint. This also helps spot clouds that signal thermals, and is used by glider pilots as well.

An added tip, use a baseball cap with dark bottom of the visor this helps when looking at a bright sky. And wear a black T-shirt or shirt, to minimize reflections on the screen when viewing.

Oakley Gascans (discontinued) with polarized lenses medium tint. I have some Wolfs with the same setup but dark tint. With those you can look directly at the sun. Gotta lift them up to see my Ipad screen though so I prefer the Gascans.

Anything but polarized.
I had prescription aviators made with the very bottom glass focused on the distance in the cockpit from pilot seat to the instrumentation panel, rather than the stard 12-16".
They also work really well at remote control/screen distance.

I have colored peacock plastic readers, they are lightly colored and tinted at bottom. Due to soft color it keeps my eyes cool and it gets easier to read. Before this I was using aviators though they were light shades but not tinted, I told my friend about this and he asked me to view online for sunglasses. I checked for sunglasses distributors, sunglasses suppliers who do have sunglasses at wholsale rates. Then I found this peacock reader at one wholsale sunglasses distributor and now I am happily using them.

I use five dollar ones from Walmart duck dynasty style. They work great and are cheap enough to toss when they're scratched. I've paid hundreds on Oakleys that end up broken or scratched anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1