Sun Shield Nvidia Shield

Reaction score
Just purchased a Nvidia Shield K1 for my P3P. Anyone out there find a good, lightweight, sun shield for this product or have any ideas what the best solution is for shading the screen?

A good start would be an anti-glare protective film for the screen itself. Shields are effective under certain conditions,
but never 100% effective. I made my own with decent results with black felt inside. Wear a solid dark color shirt,
and a solid dark hat. Any glare off of what you're wearing only adds to the frustration.

Once tethered to your Remote controller, the mobile device is being charged, so don't be afraid to crank up the brightness
on the display to full tilt! I don't think 100% glare free is possible... Like you, I'm open to additional input! :)

Hoodivision! Far and away the best of all I've tried. Puts those cheap white ones all over eBay to shame.

Reactions: lotusteve
I have a brand new Hoodvision that I ordered before I returned my Shield. Ping me if interested.

A good start would be an anti-glare protective film for the screen itself. Shields are effective under certain conditions,
but never 100% effective. I made my own with decent results with black felt inside. Wear a solid dark color shirt,
and a solid dark hat. Any glare off of what you're wearing only adds to the frustration.

Once tethered to your Remote controller, the mobile device is being charged, so don't be afraid to crank up the brightness
on the display to full tilt! I don't think 100% glare free is possible... Like you, I'm open to additional input! :)
Thanks, I tried looking for a anti glare film but couldn't find one for the Shield, guess I'm gonna have to buy a large one & cut it down. ?

Hoodivision! Far and away the best of all I've tried. Puts those cheap white ones all over eBay to shame.
I saw that one in photos looks good, does it stay in place without flopping around to much? The shield is heavier then I thought it was going to be & with the sun cover I don't want it to be to top heavy for the mounting bracket.

I have a brand new Hoodvision that I ordered before I returned my Shield. Ping me if interested.
Thinking about the Hoodivision but have concerns it will be to top heavy on the bracket mount, the shield is heavier then I expected & it concerns me. Considering making one myself out of a heavy poster board material as to not add to much weight to the controller, still on the fence which way I am going to go. Thanks for reaching out that you had one for sale, I got some decisions to make. BTW I'm curious why you returned the Shield? What problems did you have with it that I might need to be aware of?

stacy cobb makes a good one but like stated above they ain't cheep but they are the best.

aerial drone accessories makes a great sunshade for the shield, not cheap but nice.
Checked it out you're right it isn't cheap. It also looks a bit bulky & heavy with all that on top of that bracket. I decided to go with Hoodivision. Its fold able material that weighs only 2.4 oz, can't get any lighter then that plus I've heard great reviews, plus its cheaper. Thanks for your input.

stacy cobb makes a good one but like stated above they ain't cheep but they are the best.
I decided to go with Hoodivision. Its light weight only 2.4 oz, can't get much lighter then that plus its cheaper. Thanks for your input.

Well, I bought a $12.00 hood. It helps a bit, but like other reports, I get reflection of my own face. I was out in overcast conditions today and it was no better than in bright sun. I opened the trunk of my car and leaned in there thinking it was better. Well, all that did was mess up the compass on my iPad. I had a hard time seeing what I was aimed at. I managed, but it was a serious pain... plus there wasn't any real shade. I'm thinking a big piece of black cloth, like the old photographers in the 1800 used might be the way; but then, I can't see the 'copter itself... I like to keep an eye on that, too, so I don't crash into something... and I don't really wanna spend $200 for goggles. Sigh...

Just purchased a Nvidia Shield K1 for my P3P. Anyone out there find a good, lightweight, sun shield for this product or have any ideas what the best solution is for shading the screen?

If you have a 3D printer. Print my base and either use black poster board or black foam core.
nVidia Shield K1 Sun Shade DIY

Well, I bought a $12.00 hood. It helps a bit, but like other reports, I get reflection of my own face. I was out in overcast conditions today and it was no better than in bright sun. I opened the trunk of my car and leaned in there thinking it was better. Well, all that did was mess up the compass on my iPad. I had a hard time seeing what I was aimed at. I managed, but it was a serious pain... plus there wasn't any real shade. I'm thinking a big piece of black cloth, like the old photographers in the 1800 used might be the way; but then, I can't see the 'copter itself... I like to keep an eye on that, too, so I don't crash into something... and I don't really wanna spend $200 for goggles. Sigh...

Take a look at this video I did of the hoodman,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have tried so many shields for my Nvidia that didn't work worth a **** I decided to build my own & it works really good.

Materials: Gorilla Duck Tape Black not silver, black foam poster board from Office Depot, razor knife, 4 washers, 2ft black bungee cord, large brim Quicksilver Hat.

As you can see by the attachment it's pretty self explanatory, its very light weight & works great. The screen is completely covered with cut outs on the side for camera &/or video adjustment & you can still enter from the main opening to tap the screen if need be. Add the wide brim hat & you're good to go. I can put my entire face up to the sun shield & view perfectly. The great thing is I can lift my head up ever so slightly & see my bird, hover at a location then dip my head into the viewing area without hardly any glare at all, the wide brim hat is key. Total cost of the shield was less the $20, the hat was $20 also, its one I use outside doing yard work.

There is something does does work....you just have to make it yourself.

Attachments

• Sun Shade.jpg
    Sun Shade.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 553
Reactions: Larebel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31