Sun shade for IPad Pro

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cheap but effective sun shade for the iPad Pro?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Foam core board: $1
Printable plans from Internet: $0
Glue (hot glue) $3-$11
Knowing you're saving money in the long run: priceless

Reactions: Jussaguy
I have the 9.7 iPad Pro and was looking for a sunshade until I flew with it in direct SoCal sunshine, on a mountain no-less, and couldn't believe how well I could see everything.

In the store I held up the mini 2 with the pro and reflected the light from the mini and the iPad and one was a mirror of the light (the mini 2) and the pro made it look like a soft distant shadow.

Apple rep said thanks for the up-sell technique. Lol

The mini 4 has way less glare buy by far the best anti-glares in order are

1. iPad Pro (both versions the same)

2. iPad Air 2

3. iPad mini 4

The difference however is great between them. I went in there to get an air instead of my mini 2 which I disliked and left with the pro.

Next day broke down and bought the $100 pencil and that is amazing. 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity and it knows when you are using it on the side like a coal sketcher. It's so awesome. By far the best pad to date by anyone IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
Living in the desert its obviously very bright here. I bought a iPad Pro yesterday, and was extremely happy with it this morning. The change in glare from my iPad Air 2 is insane. Its such a better experience.

image.jpeg

iPad Pro 9.7" with a PadHat $30.00. (Same size as the iPad Air)

hoodivision

I don't see one for the 12.9" Pro, yet. But they work well and fold down for storage.

Living in the desert its obviously very bright here. I bought a iPad Pro yesterday, and was extremely happy with it this morning. The change in glare from my iPad Air 2 is insane. Its such a better experience.
And the Air 2 before that was BY FAR the best anti-glare one. I honestly had no interest in spending near $1000 on another iPad but when I did that comparison and I also some something on YouTube (I think a member from here) do a comparison "guess which one" thing, and the Pro looked much better but that was on video which isn't the best way to see something like that.

So I went in to look at the Air 2 figuring it would what I would get even if it wasn't as powerful or as matted as the Pro but the difference was so great that I was shocked. The pro doesn't look as shiny and that's what sells but I think Apple is finally coming around to form over function a little more than they used to. After flying it yesterday with a very bright unobstructed sun beaming right on the pad and still being able to see everything (granted it was washed out, I wouldn't have been able to see a rock on the ground at 100m) but I could see every button and menu and the general video framing perfectly fine without a sunshade, I thought I will never need a sunshade. I don't like using them and as you know, the video is just a guess at what it's recording, it's not an actual video of what's recording. So as long as I can see the buttons, and if I'm over or under exposed by the instruments (which is how you should do it), there is no need for sunshade. If you are using the video and not the histogram and/or zebra to show exposures (or the EV value on the top) the you would need a sunshade but instrumental photographers/videographers who just use the video for framing, a Pro is all you need and there will never be a lighting situation where you can't see. The sun doesn't get brighter than it was yesterday and I could see every letter, button and the video just fine. With my Mini 2, I wouldn't have been able to see anything at all. Pure black.

Also, it massively more powerful. Like 2.5x faster than then the Mini 4 and 4x faster than the Air 2. Or the other way around.

I justified the purchase because my daughter is a burgeoning just turned 4 year old artist. Not kidding, she sketches and draws better than I do and I felt the pencil is a great tool and she uses it while waiting for me at the Apple Store where I often am. I caught her in Adobe Sketch with the Apple Pencil (an amazing innovative product in its own right, way better than anything Wacom has ever churned out), I saw her changing the colors, the opacity and size to her liking, I knew I had to get it. She's so good that I'm afraid she's going to be a starving artiist one day.

The Pro is getting rave reviews from pretty much every periodical but I don't know why i haven't heard more about it from friends and stuff. I am telling everyone, don't think about another one (unless money is a major factor). I am not saying I can afford to easily drop $800 on an ipad but I had enough reasons.

With it, and my new P4 (the second one) I flew it over the Valley from Mullholland yesterday farther than I ever allowed my bird to go.. I let it go that far because it didn't even hint at a week signal. I was on Mullholland and got a drop under 2 miles and was in Burbank, and the only reason Ii stopped is because I was all the way in North Hollywood from that point and was approaching an NFZ for Burbank Airport (which is actually half in North Hollywood). Also, I don't know if anyone noticed this but I have since LA is pretty much a complete wall to wall NFZ is that now when you are in an NFZ, while flying, it doesn't just warn you, it says "you are approaching a prohibited area, Stopping and Hovering and then you have to keep pushing it along but its not easy. Sort of weird actually.

Reactions: RadioMike
I have yet to find a cheap shade for the larger iPad Pro. Not willing to shell out $159 for a shade, call me cheap.

I can tell you guys I bought an "inexpensive" shade from Amazon, and while it's "ok"...it doesn't work all that well. The mount system to the iPad (100 tiny suction cups), tends to give out 1/2 way through the battery causing one side to fall and distracts me from flying. I have chosen to not use it anymore due to this. I'd much rather pay more for quality items that WORK than save a buck. Just my opinion...

Reactions: Hariman2000

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers