Summer solstice moon tonight settings?

Reaction score
Tonight is supposed to be good with the (strawberry)moon for sunset.
What are the ideal settings to get good moon / sunset color both for photo and video? I can never get the colors to come out in the moon, and it always just looks like a white dot.

Also, should I use a nd filter for video?
Should I shoot in d log and raw., then edit later?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The moon can only be a tiny dot with the FOV of the phantom lens. As to exposure settings use your live view for getting a feel of how the scene is illuminated and have the histogram active as confirmation of exposure. Favour lowerinh ISO over increasing shutter speed for setting exposure. I would favour no ND to keep ISO down. And yes, dlog with reduced sharpness and contrast will give you the best prospects for later grading of footage.

Never understood why people would want to use a drone to film something like the moon. I don't see that a higher vantage point would change anything. At least not within 100,000 miles or so.

Today is a different color, combined with the summer solstice at the same time.

e00490afe090d5777ca682a91b13181f.jpg

Sometimes a little height can add a new perspective not available from ground level.

Today is a different color, combined with the summer solstice at the same time.
The Phantom is about the worst possible device to photograph the moon.
You'll only get a small indistinct bright spot.
If you want to photograph the moon, use an SLR and a telephoto lens.

I agree. I've tried to capture the moon with my phantom and it didn't turn out well at all. Either did my iPhone.

Need a good camera and a really good lens to make it work. Sucks because I'm on the same page - you COULD get some awesome night shots!!

...maybe an Inspire with a DSLR is in order ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4