Summer heat and tablets

Reaction score
Just a warning about flying on hot days.
My mini iPad 2 overheated when it was 87f and sunny after a short 5 minute flight. Do not panic as you still have full control of you drone, plan accordingly.

While it won't prevent overheating, it'll reduce the chance if it's removed from the case (if it's in one).

Reactions: captainmilehigh
It will happen also if the iPad is in a sun shield. May have to trim it so the back of the iPad is exposed to air for cooling. I had the same problem. Finally went to a 3D printed version that is open on the back, and the iPad 2 mini slides right in.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have an iPad Air 2 and it was 100 F the other day. I was directly under the sun for about 10 mins and never had any issue. It's dry heat out here in Northern CA. Was there high humidity at your location?

Yes, is was a higher than normal day for humidity and my Ipad was in a sun shield. It is interesting to bring up the humidity as I would not think it would make a difference, but it might.

My ipad mini2 gets pretty warm during flight. It also shuts off completely when I fly on cold days....*sigh. The struggle is real.

Thanks, I will start flying without my sun shield, I am sure that will help somewhat.
If you can trim the shield so it is open to the back of the iPad it may help. That's what I did before switching to a 3D printed one that is open by design. It is scary though when the screen goes dark and you're flying blind. Just remember how to enable RTH if it is not in sight or you're not sure of its direction of flight. Don't panic.[emoji30]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20