Summary of things you can and can't do with the Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been doing some research and I just wanted to know if I've got the following points straight - would you mind double checking my conclusions?

I want to get a Phantom 2 + GoPro Black 3+

1. There is no way to control the GoPro during flight. The GoPro uses 2.4GHz WiFi for its app and its simple remote control, and that interferes with the Phantom controller, which is also on 2.4GHz.

2. The Phantom Vision uses 4.8GHz for control so this model has no inteference issues, but there is no way to have the Phantom 2 (non-Vision) use 4.8GHz, right?

3. There is no way to see the battery level of the drone from the controller.

4. The only way to see the battery level without the iOSD is to look at the the drone while it's in the air and see what color lights it's flashing?

5. Remote FPV feeds to a monitor via 5.8GHz, which means it has very little penetration ability. If the Phantom goes behind a building or some trees the video will cut out.

6. The iOSD is a second video input that goes into the video transmitter on the drone and overlays flight data + battery level on the external monitor.

7. The Ground Station only allows the drone to fly head-first from waypoint to waypoint - no sideways flight, so no slider-style or crane-style clips are possible.

8. The GoPro WiFi can be used at the same time as the Phantom 2, but you run the risk of flat out losing the drone by having it fly away from you due to interference.

9. There is no built-in locator beacon for locating a missing Phantom.

10. If you want to use the GoPro, the camera needs to be shooting video before takeoff and will shoot only video during the entire flight. If you want to shoot photos, you need to bring the Phantom back down, switch the GoPro to interval shooting mode, and fly it back up, after which the GoPro will simply be shooting a photo every X seconds. So separate flights for photo and video, and big long video clips.

11. During Ground Station waypoint mode, you can only control gimbal tilt. You can't rotate the craft or yaw the gimbal during this mode.

Re: Summary of things you can and can't do with the Phantom

Hope this helps

fuzzybabybunny said:
Hey guys, I've been doing some research and I just wanted to know if I've got the following points straight - would you mind double checking my conclusions?

I want to get a Phantom 2 + GoPro Black 3+

1. There is no way to control the GoPro during flight. The GoPro uses 2.4GHz WiFi for its app and its simple remote control, and that interferes with the Phantom controller, which is also on 2.4GHz.
correct gopro must be started on the ground

2. The Phantom Vision uses 4.8GHz for control so this model has no inteference issues, but there is no way to have the Phantom 2 (non-Vision) use 4.8GHz, right?
vision uses 5.8 for control

3. There is no way to see the battery level of the drone from the controller.
correct

4. The only way to see the battery level without the iOSD is to look at the the drone while it's in the air and see what color lights it's flashing?
correct

5. Remote FPV feeds to a monitor via 5.8GHz, which means it has very little penetration ability. If the Phantom goes behind a building or some trees the video will cut out.
correct

6. The iOSD is a second video input that goes into the video transmitter on the drone and overlays flight data + battery level on the external monitor.
Not a second video input, it goes inline with the camera input and overlays info from FC

7. The Ground Station only allows the drone to fly head-first from waypoint to waypoint - no sideways flight, so no slider-style or crane-style clips are possible.
Correct

8. The GoPro WiFi can be used at the same time as the Phantom 2, but you run the risk of flat out losing the drone by having it fly away from you due to interference.
Havent tried it but have heard that's the case, your going to have a bad day

9. There is no built-in locator beacon for locating a missing Phantom.
Correct

10. If you want to use the GoPro, the camera needs to be shooting video before takeoff and will shoot only video during the entire flight. If you want to shoot photos, you need to bring the Phantom back down, switch the GoPro to interval shooting mode, and fly it back up, after which the GoPro will simply be shooting a photo every X seconds. So separate flights for photo and video, and big long video clips.
Gopro 3+ black can shoot video and pics at intervals although If video is set to high res screen grabs can be taken at around 8 mp

11. During Ground Station waypoint mode, you can only control gimbal tilt. You can't rotate the craft or yaw the gimbal during this mode.

Correct

Handy tip for people concerned with not having remote camera control. Start the GoPro just before you take off and then stop it right after you land. Problem solved. You're not going to be up there for very long.

I set my Gopro up to take video and photos simultaneaously, while recordimg video, every 5 seconds it takes a picture. So after a flight there is about 200 photos as well as video on my SD card.

So since you can't control yaw while in a ground station flight, wouldn't it work to set two waypoints for each location so that the first was slightly further away but on the same compas heading from the target with no hover time and the second being the desired waypoint? Seem like this would get the camera in the right direction at least.

i have tried taking photos and video at the same time and i dont like the image quality.
my recomendatio , and what im doing, one flight for video another one for photos :)

chapsrlz said:
i have tried taking photos and video at the same time and i dont like the image quality.
my recomendatio , and what im doing, one flight for video another one for photos :)

I started doing this now. Gopro on time lapse for a quick flight for nice high resolution pictures. Second one for video. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4