Suggestions for bright sun vs shadows (and blade shadows)?

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm using the Phantom 2 Vision+ (all stock).

Lots of friends have asked me to shoot pics and video of their homes, and it seems overcast days work the best. When the sun beats on one side of the house things look washed out. And the shadow side of the house is always so dark that you can't see any details. Do you have any recommendations on what settings to use to help with super bright and shadowy settings? (I wish the pics came out as good as the HDR pics on my iPhone ;) )

I also find that I have to discard most videos where the sun is shining through the blades and onto the camera because it makes the video very flickery. Is there a way to prevent that? I wonder if there's a way to put a small hood on top of the camera to block out the sun from hitting it...

Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for bright sun vs shadows (and blade shadows

Firstly, you can't fly into the sun when it is above the blades without that intermittent flare effect. A petal camera hood may help some, but won't stop it from happening.

Secondly, the best way to compensate for the high contrast is to adjust it in your favorite editing suite. For me, that's Premiere Pro and After Effects. No editing suite will fix a terrible shot, but it may help you when the curves are pinched.

If you want to know the secret to great shots, it's called Magic Hour. An hour at sunrise, an hour at sunset for the perfect light.

Re: Suggestions for bright sun vs shadows (and blade shadows

Got it, thanks. I wasn't sure if a combination of white balance settings, etc. in the iPhone/Android app worked best. I tried different settings but I had a hard time making much of a difference.

Right now I'm just using plain iMovie and it appears is has settings for curves so I'll give those a try in the meantime.

Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1