Suffolk (NY) Pols OK Ban on Drones With Cameras

• Thread starter Deleted member 29014
  • Start date
So basically all they are saying is its not ok to take pictures from the air. What a strange law to be worried about peoples privacy in public places where you can take pictures with a cell phone or camera freely.

So basically all they are saying is its not ok to take pictures from the air. What a strange law to be worried about peoples privacy in public places where you can take pictures with a cell phone or camera freely.
Ever met any smart politicians? Me neither! They are like Pavlov's dog, mention "drone" and they just have to pass a law...That is why is not smart to do stupid stuff w/ our phantoms.

"County legislators voted 15-2 on Tuesday in favor of the ban, which prohibits camera-equipped drones from flying over county parks and county buildings such as police precincts, courts and other Suffolk-run facilities. Violators would face fines from $ 250 to $ 500 fine."

So it is limited, but still, how can they enforce the airspace when only the FAA can do that?

“People expect a certain experience on these public lands,” said Legis. Al Krupski (D-Cutchogue). “I think it would be very intrusive if people fly drones with cameras on a public beach.”

So did they ban all cameras from the beach? If not who will protect the children from all the pervs out there? Again, it is the FAA's jurisdiction, not the county.

*I moved this to "news" for you as that is the appropriate location for this.

"County legislators voted 15-2 on Tuesday in favor of the ban, which prohibits camera-equipped drones from flying over county parks and county buildings such as police precincts, courts and other Suffolk-run facilities. Violators would face fines from $ 250 to $ 500 fine."

So it is limited, but still, how can they enforce the airspace when only the FAA can do that?

“People expect a certain experience on these public lands,” said Legis. Al Krupski (D-Cutchogue). “I think it would be very intrusive if people fly drones with cameras on a public beach.”

So did they ban all cameras from the beach? If not who will protect the children from all the pervs out there? Again, it is the FAA's jurisdiction, not the county.
They are pols, they don't know squat, they probably are trying to limit launch points within parks... just my 2cents.gif . Like all pols, they just want to be seen "solving" a "problem" by the voters.

I think that`s OK. I`ll buy drone without camera. There are variety models [Promotional link removed] without camera. People should have privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see this holding up in court. Since this is specifically about the use of cameras on public land there is no reasonable right to privacy. They can't ban one camera but allow others.

They changed the wording of the proposal from, taking photos to that of operating a drone with a camera. Obviously they saw the obvious violation of the 1st Amendment of the Constitution. However they did not even hide T that this is what the bill wants to do in that they did not even remove this statement from the bill itself. But they still think they can bypass the US Code giving only the FAA regulation over any airspace. They clearly don't care. They make an attempt to make it look like they are not in violation by claiming the ban to be lower than 500 feet. I've pointed out that this easement does not allow them to regulate this area. No response from them.

Their attorney stated that US regulation would over ride their ban. So he's really admitting that the ban is completly invalid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic